*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/991069
Rated: 13+ · Book · Travel · #2032403
ON THE WRITE PATH: travel journal for Around-the-World in 2015, 16, 18.
#991069 added August 17, 2020 at 11:53pm
Restrictions: None
Blood and Urine (Arusha among the Maasai)
I don't do heights! And although I have had to stand for hours in a train my legs no longer appreciate the abuse. No balloon ride for me.

I'll visit the Maasai, thank-you-please.

But would I be able to eat? Yes, they can arrange vegetarian and vegan meals ... most anyone can ... but this is a culture of blood and milk and raw meat and ...

Cow's blood is used for special occasions. Milk is mixed with blood or urine. Cows are seldom slaughtered. The liver and kidneys are offered to the elderly ... like me!

Ugali (a thick white-corn-based porridge that serves as a staple food throughout Tanzania) is generally served with milk in Maasai households. I will eat it of course.

Fortunately, like the Maasai, I'm milk tolerant.

I've had blood in various ways before (don't tell my vamps *Vamp*) but urine (although not a dangerous liquid) mixed in with milk might push my limits.

And sleeping in a mud-dung hut shouldn't be too awfully bad. The temps are 27/16 this week. Pleasant. But wooden slats... would my back be okay? Thankfully mosquito netting is provided.

In Arusha I'd stay in a hostel and, frankly, I'd like to see Mt. Kilimanjaro even though Arusha sits at the base of its own old volcano.

Would I see animals? A zebra would do. I don't need to see the big 5 in the wild. I wouldn't have the opportunity to see them up close anyways. Would be a nice view from a balloon though!

I'll take notes. Take whatever pictures are allowed. Try to be a good guest.

Try to not obsess over Blood and Urine.

GROUP
Blogging Circle of Friends   (E)
A group for WDC bloggers.
#1901868 by Lyn's a sly fox
Bonus.

With the help of local Maasai Mama's we will be guided through a number of traditional Swahili recipes to prepare your own lunch. We will learn how the local Mama's prepare food at home using traditional cooking equipment and methods. We will learn some Swahili words for different foods and be able to get hands-on help to prepare each dish.

We will learn about how Maasai build their homes and how traditional Maasai homes are set up in a "boma".
We will see inside the homes and how they live.

We will learn how Maasai create their own beaded jewellery and go away from the workshop with your very own bracelet.

Vegetarian, gluten free and dairy free options can be catered for in the recipes. We're cooking our dinner and learning how to make beaded jewelry together. How cool is that?

Can't wait to hear your thoughts.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/AttractionProductReview-g297913-d19076562-Swahili_Co...

AND:

We're staying at Arusha Serena Hotel and Resort Spa.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g297913-d304446-Reviews-Arusha_Serena_H...

https://www.tripadvisor.com/AttractionProductReview-g297913-d15883436-Miracle_Ex...

As dawn breaks over the horizon, you serenely drift over the magnificent marvel of nature, The Serengeti, enjoying an eagle’s eye view of the wildlife theatre as it unfolds below you. You will have ample opportunities to spot wildlife from a different perspective. If you are fortunate, you might be able to spot the Big Five: Lion, Leopard, Elephant, Buffalo, and Rhino, as well as giraffe, zebra, hippo, crocodile and a variety of birdlife. Your game viewing opportunities from the sky are endless. Following the flight, you will celebrate with sparkling wine and a splendid bush breakfast in the middle of the Serengeti, capping off what is sure to be your most memorable morning in the skies of Africa.

The afternoon we'll be enjoying some of the awesome amenities at our hotel before the BCoF people take us to our next adventure.

FORUM
30-Day Blogging Challenge ON HIATUS  (13+)
WDC's Longest Running Blog Competition - Hiatus
#1786069 by Fivesixer


Day 2831: August 17 Arusha,Tanzania‎
Prompt: Write a story or poem about your Miracle Experience Balloon Safaris | Serengeti https://www.tripadvisor.com/AttractionProductReview-g297913-d15883436-Miracle_Ex...


© Copyright 2020 Kåre Enga in Udon Thani (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Udon Thani has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/991069