*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/991219
by Seuzz
Rated: GC · Book · Occult · #2193834
A high school student finds a grimoire that shows how to make magical disguises.
#991219 added August 20, 2020 at 11:28am
Restrictions: None
The Housekeeper at the Center of the World
Previously: "The House at the Center of the World

The gravel walk is lined on either side by a broad fringe of dead grass, beyond which are unkempt hedges, the gaps in which suggest the presence of twin mazes, or of one large maze that girdles the entire house. A few large bushes still hold a basic shape suggestive of topiary'you recognize an elephant and a gryphon and something that might be a centaur. Water drips from yew trees and has collected in small puddles under the hedges; apparently a small squall has blown through, adding a dull sheen to the garden's already ill-used favor.

The house, now that you're close, is less imposing, and you feel less nervous as you mount the stone steps to the front porch. The bell chain hangs from a gargoyle's mouth, and you give it a firm pull; bells ring distantly inside the house.

Only a few moments pass before the heavy door is opened by a plump woman in a starched hat and apron. She is no longer middle-aged, but there is still a dusty rose flush in her grey cheeks, and her eyes are undimmed, even behind the spectacles. "Good afternoon," she says with a faint Scots lilt. "May I help you?"

"Good afternoon. My name is Meierson. I'm here to see Professor Lachmann."

"Ah, do come in, Mr. Meierson." She stands aside and you step past her into a foyer. A dark, narrow staircase goes up into shadows above, while a narrow hallway leads back into the house; at its end you can see a room illuminated by a window through which bleary light falls onto a table holding a large bowl of half-peeled apples: a kitchen or scullery, apparently.

"Is that your only bag, Mr. Meierson?" She reaches to take it from your hand. "Shall I take you in to see the Professor, or show you to your room first?

That's all for now.

© Copyright 2020 Seuzz (UN: seuzz at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Seuzz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/991219