*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/991309
Rated: 13+ · Book · Travel · #2032403
ON THE WRITE PATH: travel journal for Around-the-World in 2015, 16, 18.
#991309 added August 21, 2020 at 9:01pm
Restrictions: None
Kaapstad, Suid Afrika
These are the some of the photos I took of Kaapstad in April, 2015. It's coming out of winter in August.

https://www.facebook.com/kare.enga.9/media_set?set=a.958073394227285&type=3

Just looked for a cheap but decent place to stay. Found one that has a lekker vibe for $11-15/night with an 8.8 rating. It's in Green point near the Silo Hotel, which at $1,200/2 night is beyond my budget. I'm glad that someone wealthy has offered to treat you-all! *Wink*

I can do Cape Town (its other name) for $30/day. So one night at the Silo or one month in a hostel is a no-brainer for me. I'd budget $1,000-1,200 for a month if I ever go back. *Bigsmile*

Which is another issue. It's a lovely setting and a great city to visit but I felt I could cut the hostility with a knife. *Worry* Fortunately, the folks I met to speak with were quite charming and friendly.



I didn't do the ghost bus tour. I did take the hop-on-hop-off routes. I visited the Kirstenbosch botanical gardens and saw the fynbos there and on top of Table Mountain. Saw a sea lion being fed in Hout Bay beach.



The beaches (Camp's Bay, Clifton) to the west along the South Atlantic were beautiful and in April it was still warm enough to go in. I stayed on the sandy beach.

In wandering around town I visited Bo-Kaap, the colorful old Cape Malay neighborhood.



Because I was there 5 days I also went to Simon's Town but didn't see any penguins. The train trip back was memorable. *Smirk*

Was it a ghost?

The screeches from the car in front of us sounded like a chalkboard in pain. Either the tall blond girl who went that way was laughing or dying. We didn't get up to make sure. It was going to be a long ride in a rickety old car festooned with graffiti. Safer '1st class', they said. I guess the shrieking in Afrikaans was free.

In our car a middle-aged woman was talking softly in a language I do not speak but whoever was on the other end of the phone was getting a talking-to. A 'mother's voice' needs no translation.

The slow rumble took forever as few people got on or off. The poorest waited for the cheapest cars. When we arrived it was quiet. I didn't see the young woman, which was odd. I could have seen her blond shriek a kilometer away.




BCoF: We're doing a mystery bus tour. You get to put your thinking cap on and write a flash fiction ghost story. 100 words or less.

https://www.capetownmagazine.com/events/mystery-ghost-bus-haunted-tour-in-cape-t...

the bonus surprise of the day is actually our hotel. Wait until you see this incredible pool. We're staying here tomorrow too so don't worry about missing out on the amenities.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g312659-d12223139-Reviews-The_Silo_Hote...

30dbc: we grabbed a quick flight from Durban to Cape Town, it's only 2.5 hours.

30 day We're heading straight out on our tour of Cape Good Hope and hopefully we'll see penguins and get some time on the pristine beaches.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/AttractionProductReview-g312659-d17420184-Cape_of_Go...

https://www.travelandleisure.com/travel-guide/cape-town/things-to-do/cape-of-goo...

There's lot of things on the itinerary. Check it out and talk about the things that appeal to you. The link has 100 pictures available for your perusing enjoyment on tripadvisor. And there's more pictures on travel and leisure. I'm sure you can weave a tale by looking at the pictures.



© Copyright 2020 Kåre Enga in Udon Thani (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Udon Thani has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/991309