*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/991394-Johannesburg-South-Africa
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1966420
Theses are my thoughts and ramblings as I forge my way through this thing they call life.
#991394 added August 23, 2020 at 8:03am
Restrictions: None
Johannesburg, South Africa
For the 30-Day Blogging Challenge and Blogging Circle Of Friends to use.


WDC's Longest Running Blog Competition - Hiatus
30 Day Blogging Challenge

Johannesburg, South Africa
Johannesburg is the place to go to mix big-city culture, shopping, dining and nightlife with outdoor adventures, up-close wildlife encounters and visits to historical sites. Explore caves and nature reserves, or visit a traditional village by day, then enjoy dinner at a hip cafe or five-star restaurant. And if you're a shopper, bring an extra, empty suitcase. With malls, open-air markets and places that blend the two, you'll find plenty of unique souvenirs.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g312578-d2322502-Reviews-The_Residence_...
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g312578-d313843-Reviews-Apartheid_...
This museum is not something anyone should hurry through. Enjoy the (2000+) photos, discuss some of the ones that appeal to you. Did you discover the other name for Johannesburg and what is it?


Jo'Burg
Johannesburg, Jo'Burg, Jozi, Egoli – The many names of the City of Gold. Johannesburg, commonly known as Jo'Burg or Jozi, is South Africa's second largest city with a population of over than 3 million.

I am not a fan of staying in South Africa, but at least I can take my time wandering the Apartheid Museum. The signage disturbs me - Blanks and Non-Blanks. Even as a child of 5 I had an issue with discrimination of any kind. My northern Ontario school had a separate door and seating areas for Boys and Girls. I remember thinking 'why was that necessary?' Why should it matter? I followed the rules... but I remember going into the school one evening to get my shoes I'd forgotten and running into the boys section to touch the windows just to show some defiance... I was only 7. It was very liberating, even if my mother was the only one to see me do it.

The fact that this kind of signage existed bothers me to the core, making my time in South Africa (virtual or not) uncomfortable. There is beauty here - in its natural form, but there is an ugliness as well. A kind of unclean that inequality leaves, like a film... one that I fear will take a long, long time to get rid of... if it even happens.

I find it interesting that the tickets designate you are white or non-white on an arbitrary basis - giving you a taste of what it may have been like.

Going to Mandela House is another place I would like to venture to just to get an essence of the man who was willing to go to jail to speak out against the injustice of the system.

Our hotel is much more quaint here. Cape Town was over the top, Johannesburg seems more down to earth... even if it is a far bigger city. The pool was shaded with lovely trees and I felt it easier to breath here. Not so opulent.

I had no interest in shopping and decided to stay in and write for the evening once I had enjoyed a lovely dinner. It just felt like a more reflective thing to do.

BCOF Insignia

Blogging Circle of Friends

Nelson Mandela, was a complex man. Discuss what you learn with one of the links.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g312587-d2436621-Reviews-Mandela_H...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nelson_Mandela#:~:text=Widely%20regarded%20as%20an...
Being able to be in the place where Mandela's family spent their lives was good. A quiet neighbourhood. A house full of memorabilia that spoke of the man and his family. The enlarged photo of his wife, Winnie, made me smile. Now there was a strong black woman raising her daughters and fighting the fight while Mandela spent his 27 years in jail. What a life that must have been.


https://europeansting.com/2019/07/19/here-are-10-of-nelson-mandelas-most-inspira...
There are 10, but I have included 6 of my favourites here:
1. Be passionate

“Everyone can rise above their circumstances and achieve success if they are dedicated to and passionate about what they do.”

2. Nothing’s impossible

“It always seems impossible, until it is done.”

3. Make a difference

“What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead.”

4. Be optimistic

“I am fundamentally an optimist. Part of being optimistic is keeping one’s head pointed toward the sun, one’s feet moving forward. There were many dark moments when my faith in humanity was sorely tested, but I would not and could not give myself up to despair. That way lays defeat and death.”

5. Learn and teach

“Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.”

6. Make mistakes

“Do not judge me by my successes, judge me by how many times I fell down and got back up again.”


One must not forget Desmond Tutu as well. Here are some wonderful quotes:
Do your little bit of good where you are; it's those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.

My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together.

Without forgiveness, there's no future.



© Copyright 2020 💙 Carly (UN: carly1967 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
💙 Carly has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/991394-Johannesburg-South-Africa