*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/991703-Brilliant-Brasilia
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2017254
My random thoughts and reactions to my everyday life. The voices like a forum.
#991703 added August 27, 2020 at 2:25pm
Restrictions: None
Brilliant Brasilia
Day 27 Brasilia, Brazil
          Today takes me on an architectural tour of Brasilia. This city has much to offer.
         My first reaction to Catedral Metropolitana was one of awe. I stared. I gawked. I gaped. This building is a thing of beauty and originality. It resembles a white coronet or crown rising from the earth and at first glance it doesn't appear to be large at all. Looks are indeed deceiving. The entrance is underground and this is where much of the vast cathedral hides. Some say this is like entering a UFO.
         Blue and green soaring glass walls give a kaleidoscope effect. Angel figurines are suspended from the impressive ceiling. The separate bell tower is certainly unique in its design, too. It almost looks like a candelabra with the bells placed where candles would sit.
         Oscar Niemeyer designed the cathedral and the next edifice on my tour, Itamaraty Palace. (As a side note...if I read the commemorative plaques correctly, Niemeyer lived to the grand age of 104?) This building is the headquarters for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and it showcases Brazilian artwork. Outside there is a reflecting pool filled with plants. Inside lush green gardens abound. Also known as Palace of the Arches, Niemeyer's creation features a stunning, floating staircase that rivals sculpture in its beauty. There is so much to view and appreciate here.
         The third bit of architecture I toured is the Templo da Boa Vontade, or The Temple of Good Will. This structure resembles a pyramid and these triangular walls hide an interior building. Inside artwork and beautiful gardens create a feeling of serenity. A labyrinth-patterned floor is difficult to ignore. One room is devoted to all things Egyptian.
         I must confess that I do not follow, or perhaps notice architecture much in my home country, Canada. Sure, there are buildings that I've seen and liked , but are they examples of great style? Quebec City has the Frontenac Hotel which resembles a palace. Niagara Falls, Ontario boasts an upside down, inverted house with the structure seeming to balance on the roof. In Toronto, we have the CN Tower and the Skydome.
         Here in Ontario, there are a few "large" fixtures. In Sudbury, we have the giant nickel. In Beardmore, we have the thirty-foot tall snowman who switches out his accessories for the seasons. In the summer, he sports a pair of sunglasses. To the north of where I reside is a giant fish.

© Copyright 2020 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/991703-Brilliant-Brasilia