*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/991836-The-Queen-City
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2017254
My random thoughts and reactions to my everyday life. The voices like a forum.
#991836 added August 29, 2020 at 7:27pm
Restrictions: None
The Queen City
Day 29 Charlotte, North Carolina
         Whew! The miles, or in my case, the kilometres are adding up.Sniff, sniff. This virtual trip is drawing to a close.
         Lyn's a sly fox Didn't we terrorize Europe with Segways? Did we not learn anything? Sigh, okay, I've got it in me to attempt the fine art of Segway manipulation one more time. The bruises have healed and the screams of terrified pedestrians have faded. So, once again I nodded in deep concentration as a guide went over the basics. Apparently, it is supposed to be simple, steer and hang on. Yes...
         I was thrilled that I met, no surpassed, the criteria for Segway customers. I never wear a hat, so check for me. I am most definitely over 100 pounds, but I do not exceed 260 pounds. Great, I am heavy enough, but not overly heavy. I must be 12 or older to operate this fine piece of tourist machinery, check. Was there a line in the indemnity waiver that asked if I was of sound mind? No matter, I mounted my Segway, closed my eyes in silent prayer and proceeded to roll along. Just in time, I remembered to open my eyes and steer. Oh, I heard the snickers, but my hands could not rudely reply because they were busy with a white-knuckled grip.I felt like one of those toy Weeble Wobbles.
         Did I notice the Queen City sights pointed out by the enthusiastic guide? Maybe, some...I recall a blur of traffic lights, honking vehicles, and scattering pedestrians. A constant roar accompanied me, too. That might have been my elevated heart rate and blood rushing to my extremities anticipating a higher stress load. My balance is a rarely used skill.
         Despite my transport preoccupation, I did enjoy the Airing Out the Dirty Laundry exhibit at the Mint Museum. I found it clever and poignant. Women are invited to share their life stories by hanging them on a clothesline.
         I loved the Charlotte Comedy Bus Tour on the open air, red, funny bus. I could just sit, listen, and laugh. The constant patter and adult-only humour from the guide brought the city history to life. I like the motto, " laugh and learn with us." The improv was great.
         The stop for burgers and shakes refreshed me. Who doesn't like a 'spirited shake?' I never did taste the Chunky Elvis. I'm just guessing, but did it contain p.b. and bananas?
         What a perfect ending to a whirlwind day, a beyond the grave haunted tour. Stalking the streets in the evening with a lantern is entertaining. Don't all cities have a creepy, morbid history? My segway sortie haunted me.Oh, the near misses...

© Copyright 2020 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/991836-The-Queen-City