*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/992668-Sex-and-Candy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Music · #2231553
Fictitious and delicious!
#992668 added September 7, 2020 at 7:30pm
Restrictions: None
Sex and Candy

"Sex and Candy" by Marcy Playground, originally released 1997

As we strolled through the city's pedetrian and cyclist "exercise loop", I found Mitch and I had company in savoring the unusual early May warmth. A couple young boys raced their scooters down the road as their parents looked on from lawn chairs perched in the front yard of a pseudo-Queen Anne house. Sidewalk gardens burst with red and yellow tulips. Looking ahead, I saw at least three people walking their pooches.

"I had considered finding a place up here," Mitch replied, "but I wanted to be close to the lakes for training."

"Training?" I ask.

"For a half marathon. Man, those were the days."

"I didn't know you run."

Mitch shook his head. "Not anymore. I did something to my hip a while back, and sometimes even sitting for long periods of time is aggravating."

"Any chance of getting that checked out, well, once doctor's offices are less of a minefield?"

At that, Mitch chuckled. "I don't know. It hasn't bothered me too much or kept me from going hunting. I might do it if I want to go back to running."

"If you say so. I've had plantar fasciitis off and on due to hip issues. All this sitting around at home has likely rendered some of my work on them useless. Then again, I haven't really done my stretching exercises as much because I can't go to the gym. I admit I kinda hate working out at home."

"Yeah, that does kinda suck. At least right now we can be outside, someplace different. It feel almost miraculous."

"Agreed," I chimed in. "Plus it gives me an excuse to wander around a part of the neighborhood I don't see as much. Like the school, for instance."

By this point, we had reached the northeast corner of Marcy School. The doors had been locked for a while, but I saw construction vehicles and dirt piles off to one side.

"What are they doing over there?" Mitch asked.

"I have no idea," I told him. "I think there's a sign on the fence that might tell us."

We scaled the small hill and traversed across the car pick up lane. A little bit of walking later, we reached the fence and found the sign.

"Marcy Playground Construction," Mitch said. "I wonder if the band is still around."

"That's a damn good question," I replied. "It all makes me think about so many cultural references I heard growing up come from this state. I had no idea until I moved up here."

Mitch smiled. "We Minnesotans are everywhere."

"And the smarter Floridians find their way here to start a better life."

A giggle bubbled up from Mitch's throat. "No doubt about that. But getting back to Marcy Playground for a moment, did you even like that song? My parents didn't want me listening to it because of the title. I wasn't even 10 when that song was released."

I shrugged. "It was a take it or leave it song for me. It wasn't monotonous, per se, but it was just kinda flat. I still listened to it, though. It was better than MMMBop."

"A drill in your ear is better than MMMBop."

It was my turn to giggle. "Not doubtin' that for a minute. Their later stuff - a.k.a. after they all went through puberty - isn't too bad, from what I've heard."

"Interesting."

"But yes, I have something of a connection to a band that did make it big. The name was inspired by something within walking distance. I really should come out here more often."

"Maybe we could have a picnic here if things improve."

"Maybe. Hopefully it won't be so crowded, because right now, I don't think I've ever seen this many people in the park at one time."

Mitch cranes his neck past the fence to look at Holmes Park before us. Dozens of people perched on blankets or played Frisbee. There was adequate space between the groups, but there were still too many of them for my comfort.

"That is a lot of people," he remarked. "Did you want to go back to the condo?"

I shook my head. "Let's keep walking. Neither of us have to be anywhere for a while. We have time."

"Sure, but can we do one thing?"

"What's that?"

At that, Mitch reached out and brushed my hand. I smiled and held on when he brushed it a second time.

"I have strawberry hand sanitizer in my purse in case we need it."

That earned me a laugh. "That's an improvement over most hand sanitizers these days. It's worth toeing the quarantine line."

Hand in hand, we wandered away from the school and headed toward the park. There were plenty more places nearby that I could show off in the early spring sun.


© Copyright 2020 Elisa the Bunny Stik (UN: soledad_moon at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Elisa the Bunny Stik has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/992668-Sex-and-Candy