*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/993819-Out-Of-Control
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1196512
Not for the faint of art.
#993819 added September 21, 2020 at 12:05am
Restrictions: None
Out Of Control
What, me worry?

PROMPT September 21st

One thing outside of my control that I need to stop worrying about is...


I'm... not really the worrying type.

As the prompt suggests, there are things in my control and things that aren't. If a situation is, at least in part, in my control, then I tend to do something about it. If it's not, then I figure out a way to deal with it -- usually by imagining the worst possible outcome, mentally preparing for that, and then being relieved when it turns out to be not as bad as I expected.

Of course, like everyone else, I have certain concerns. No point worrying about them, though. It's a waste of brain power, when that brain power could be used to play video games or get distracted with booze.

I'm sure there are a lot of things on everyone's mind right now: pandemic, economic struggles, upcoming election in the US, social issues, the impending end of Western civilization, and all the other joy that 2020 has brought us. Hell, I was just reading where archaeologists found a bunch of sarcophagi   in Egypt. I mean, I'm a rational guy, but unearthing cursed mummies in 2020 sounds like a Really Bad Idea, and these archaeologists probably should have watched more horror movies before proceeding.

Point is, there's not a damn thing I can do, and if there were, I'd be doing it instead of turning it over and over in my mind. It's not like I can fly to Egypt and ask the archaeologists what the hell they were thinking, and even if I could, it wouldn't do any good.

In case it's not obvious, I'm joking about the mummy curse thing; it's a worn-out horror trope, which makes it ripe for comedy. Jokes are what keep me from worrying. I haven't found many situations yet that I couldn't joke about. Hell, I was getting treated for a heart attack, watching my ticker beat on the screen, millimeters away from possible death, and all I could say was, "Huh... it's not made of stone after all."

If you can't control the situation -- and much of the time, you can't -- you can control your response to it. I recognize that worry is one of those emotions that's really hard to address, but just because I can't control something doesn't mean I'm going to let it control me.

Usually, though, it's not about control, but about just letting go. I don't accept that everything's in some higher being's hands, or has a purpose. Also, there's no telling what the future will bring; could a situation come up where I do start to worry? It's possible. It's just not happening right now, and I'm certainly not going to worry about getting worried.

© Copyright 2020 Robert Waltz (UN: cathartes02 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Robert Waltz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/993819-Out-Of-Control