*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/997229-More-Tricks-Than-Treats
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1196512
Not for the faint of art.
#997229 added October 31, 2020 at 4:04am
Restrictions: None
More Tricks Than Treats
I can't be arsed to riff off a link today. For the first time since March, I'm away from home and staying in a way-too-expensive hotel from whose window I can see a sliver of the Potomac. Also, the vending machine doesn't work.

At least the restaurant was good and had patio heaters for outdoor seating. They had scotch. Yes, I'm just now waking up from passing out from drinking almost enough scotch.

While I'm complaining about lodging (which, really, I shouldn't be, because I should just feel lucky that I finally get a small change of scenery, but in my condition I just want to complain about everything, including the fact that I continue to see today's full moon referred to as a "Blue Moon," which is WRONG), can I just say that if I spend the money to stay at something just a bit fancier than a Super 8, could they possibly put goddamned tea in the room? I don't even need the fancy artisan stuff. Hell, right now I'd settle for shitty-ass Lipton. Not everyone is a coffee drinker, but coffee drinkers get free coffee, and what do I get? I get having to put on my pants and a mask, trudge down to the lobby (because the vending machine is broken) and buy a way-too-expensive Coke Zero to get my needed caffeine to offset my incipient hangover.

Fortunately, I had the presence of mind to remember to bring my room key. One loses one's travel habits after seven months of moping about at home.

Later this morning comes the whole purpose of my travel, which is an hour and a half walking tour of Alexandria with a focus on the city's history of brewing. You'd never know it these days, though, since right now the nearest brewery is four miles away, and while it's big enough that I've had their beers before, I'd never visited Port City Brewing Company. Apparently, at Port City, they reserve the patio heaters for groups, and us lone wanderers have to huddle alone in the frigid shade. Worse, they're not even doing tasting flights, and you have to use a crappy smartphone app to order. How am I supposed to enjoy their full range of beers if I have to order them one at a time and not ask the bartender about them?

Anyway, I'm going to try to get a bit more sleep, but I didn't want to break my blogging streak, so here it is. And here's a link for you to laugh at: https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/food/people-who-pronounce-it-pan-au-shock-oh...

© Copyright 2020 Robert Waltz (UN: cathartes02 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Robert Waltz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/997229-More-Tricks-Than-Treats