*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/997755-Three-Score-and-Ten--Day-80
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #2232901
Psalm 90:10, "The length of our days is seventy years—or eighty if we are strong....
#997755 added November 6, 2020 at 12:12am
Restrictions: None
Three Score and Ten + Day 80

I have been absent from this Blog a couple of days. it is not that i did not want to write, Just that other things got in the way. It was been just great weather for painting, I could not ask for better, So I need to take advantage of it while we have this rare good November weather. then there was the election. I am a news junkie, and have been my whole life. when I was in High school I would give a daily news report for the class. I enjoyed it. I was up until 2:00 in the morning watching returns. As a Libertarian Conservative I am disappointed over the election thus far. Every thing is politics, but I do not want to pull it into this blog.

Today I roto tilled the garden and got the roto tiller ready for a long sleep. We have a Troy Bilt Pony here and Horse in the north. It is always a good feeling tp put them away until spring. Then I painted until we had to go to the auction house and pick up. I just had Christmas early going through things. I think I did decent this time around. a lot early 1900's catalogs and almanacks, mid century Christmas ornaments, view master with light attachment and a lot of good stuff. Then we went grocery shopping. I hate to make two trips so we double up when we can. Grocery shopping sure can get expensive, But We did buy some on special meat. A Dog that has a big mouth and likes to eat, then have treats and a big cat does not help the bill at all.

PROMPT November 2nd
Write about something you collect. If you don't collect anything, write about the collection of a friend or family member.

Now this prompt is a real can of worms. It should say in my case what do you not collect. as they say in the business, I sell enough to feed the habit. It is in the blood. My one grandfathers were both self employed and supported there families well during the depression. I will speak of my maternal grandfather a bit at this time. he made this way buying ans sell what ever he could. He was a master horseman, work horses, he showed his horses and did horse pulls. But he was also a horse and cattle trader. and the way I understand it was quit shrewd to say the least. During the war as my mother said he bought and sold tires. But on to collecting.

I started collecting when I was very young, Young enough to not remember it all clearly. But I still have the books mother gave me when I think I was 8-10 years old. I remember we had an old Hosier type cabinet I barely remember in the up stairs that I had full of paper stuff. One item type that I still look to acquire is old hand Garden Tools. There was such variety, some strange to see. I still use some of them. They were made to last more then one lifetime, good quality. My last good find was a Mini Seeder, It is nice but missing the planting shoe. I will need to buy another one some where to get a shoe, they are ca. about 1910. I will use it to plant my salad boxes.

About 1988 I started collecting Antique Christmas decorations with the purchase of a 5.00 box of ornaments at a auction. The history of Christmas decoration is quite the story. A few years after 1988 we started attending the National Christmas Collectors conventions. We have not been a member for some years now. But I will still buy Christmas If the price is right and it is something that catches my eye. The items I picked up today included a box of old ornaments. The problem today with collecting old antique Christmas is the limited availability and astronomical prices. I won't pay those prices. Once in a while I get lucky on some mid century items. In our front parlor we keep ten different size Christmas trees decorated Year around. We light it only from after Thanksgiving until News Years day. We keep drapes pulled the rest of the year to protect against sun and light. It is known as the Christmas room in town. The trunk room is half full stacked to ceiling with old Christmas I have sold most of my Halloween and Easter collections.

If I new how to post an image on this site I would do so. I hope you have a blessed New Day.

© Copyright 2020 Fathertymme, "Cold Durry Days" (UN: fathertymme at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fathertymme, "Cold Durry Days" has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/997755-Three-Score-and-Ten--Day-80