*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/998246-We-Just-Disagree
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1196512
Not for the faint of art.
#998246 added November 13, 2020 at 12:01am
Restrictions: None
We Just Disagree
One great thing about living a drama-free life is there's little opportunity for disagreement.

PROMPT November 13th

Write about a disagreement you had with someone. What happened? Was the conflict resolved?


And yet, I have cats. Consequently, disagreements happen on a regular basis.

Cat: I hunger. Provide the customary nourishment, please.

Me: I just fed you.

Cat: Your memory is faulty. Behold, the receptacle is void of sustenance.

Me: That's because you ate it all.

Cat: ...I hunger.

And so it's resolved by me feeding the cat.

Similarly, when it's time to go to sleep.

Me: Cat, you're in my spot.

Cat: You must be mistaken. I have claimed this location by virtue of prior habitation.

Me: That is exactly where I need to be in order to sleep. You're a cat. You can literally sleep anywhere.

Cat: I must reiterate My claim.

Me: *picks up cat and gently deposits her on floor*

Cat: You are cruel! I have never been so mistreated in My life.

Resolution: Cat ends up sleeping on top of me so that technically, we're in the same spot.

Or, like, I'm trying to write a blog entry.

Cat: This keyboard, its temperature is pleasing unto Me.

Me: Cat, I'm trying to type here.

Resolution: I finish the blog entry later.

Now, I also live with a human, but fortunately, we rarely disagree and never seriously. This is probably because our relationship is what you'd call platonic: few expectations involved. I'm sure I get on her nerves sometimes, but as it's my house, I can live with that.

When I was married, though, my wife and I got into minor disagreements quite often (though rarely major ones, the exception being when she decided I had too much stuff). But that's too far removed in time for me to remember the details of any of them. Having a lousy memory has its advantages sometimes.

I'm tempted to joke, "We compromised and did what she wanted," but that would be unfair to both of us. I'm pretty sure I got my way at least once. Maybe even twice.

I have a friend I've known since middle school, and we see each other sometimes. We disagree on most things political, but it's not like there are any stakes involved. He presents his point of view and I present mine, and we're still friends.

In short, while I have strong opinions about some things, I don't let that get in the way of getting along with people.

Usually.

© Copyright 2020 Robert Waltz (UN: cathartes02 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Robert Waltz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/998246-We-Just-Disagree