*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/999100--SURPRISE-
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(405)
by ruwth
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2145363
I will be adding stories & reflections as time marches on. Take a gander today!
#999100 added April 14, 2022 at 2:03am
Restrictions: None
~ SURPRISE ~

~ SURPRISE ~

I remember being so excited when, as a twelve year old, I planned a surprise birthday party for my mother. I managed to talk to a few of her friends without her knowledge and arranged with a neighbor to let me make the cake and a gelatin dessert at her house.

I actually don't remember the cake but I remember that gelatin dessert. Maybe I made it more for me than for the party: gelatin stirred up with whipped creme—yummy!

Sadly, the surprise aspect fell through. I can't remember what exactly happened but I do remember I got cornered and had to let my mother in the surprise.

She was FURIOUS.

Now, that was not the reaction I expected. I guess my mother was not thrilled at the aspect of some of these folks showing up at her home unannounced lest they should find a speck of dust on the mantel or something.

After she thoroughly chewed me out, she helped me get the house ready for company and acted surprised when her friends showed up.

The two things I remember about the day: Mommy's angry response and the yummy lime gelatin/whipped creme dessert.

It was years before I dared to throw another surprise birthday party for my mother!

Thankfully, the second surprise party was a huge success. Picturing Mommy's delight at her second surprise birthday party brings a smile to my face as I look back at it today.

This time, the guests were me, my five kids, their mates, and however many grandchildren I had at the time.

Unbeknownst to my mother, I arranged for a private dining room—I think it was at a Golden Corral eating place. Mommy thought I was taking her out for dinner on her birthday.

The kids all got there before we did. They took seats at the long table with a seat at the head of the table reserved for the guest of honor.

Everybody brought gifts. Her great-grandchildren shopped at the Dollar Store and each of them bought at least five gifts for her. The presents were all wrapped separately and then stacked in a huge mountain at her end of the table waiting for her to revel in the glitter and bows...

And revel she did!

She was the center of attention in a huge group of people who loved and accepted her.

The day was filled with laughs, smiles, good food and lots of hugs.

A good birthday memory—for her and for me! ♡♡♡



Written for "Verfabula: A Creative Nonfiction Contest
Prompt: Birthday
Word Count: 425 Words




~ ~ ~ JESUS is LORD! ~ ~ ~




© Copyright 2022 ruwth (UN: ruwth at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
ruwth has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/999100--SURPRISE-