*Magnify*
    March     ►
SMTWTFS
     
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/999493-The-Illusion-of-Knowledge-is-the-Enemy-of-Knowledge
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1966420
Theses are my thoughts and ramblings as I forge my way through this thing they call life.
#999493 added December 1, 2020 at 10:42pm
Restrictions: None
The Illusion of Knowledge is the Enemy of Knowledge
Blog City - Day2312

December 1, 2020
Prompt: β€œThe greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.”
Daniel J. Boorstin
What do you think the illusion of knowledge is?


Interesting concept. Not sure if I fully understand it and I think my admission of feeling less than knowledgeable in this area, makes me not an illusionist when it comes to knowledge. I would not call myself ignorant either. I think someone who is knowledgeable is confident in their abilities, but also humble enough to know that with that knowledge comes the idea that you are merely scrapping the surface of all that is to be known. The more you know, the more you realize you don't know. I felt like that in my last year of university.

Knowledgeable people are open to other views and are willing to widen their knowledge base. They know where they are strong and where they are weaker. They are also willing to bring in others who can share their knowledge - people they can learn from... because a knowledgeable person knows that learning in a life long adventure. They share and collaborate to bring everyone around them up to a higher level. Building potential.

Giving the illusion of knowledge has a level of cockiness and a belief that you are all knowing... or at least giving that impression to others. You act like you know, when in fact, you have no clue. You are just making stuff up. But because you sound like an authority, you can sway others... to believe things that are not true or even dangerously not true. These people are also closed to the idea of change or trying things a different way. It's their way or no way.

Fake news springs to mind.

The person may have knowledge in an area, but give the impression that they are more than capable in another area... in this, Trump springs to mind. He might have business savvy, but you can't run a country like a business.

I am curious what others think of this concept. I could be way off base, but I am also willing to learn.

© Copyright 2020 πŸ’™ Carly (UN: carly1967 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
πŸ’™ Carly has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/999493-The-Illusion-of-Knowledge-is-the-Enemy-of-Knowledge