SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/action/view/message_id/3197149
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Contest · #1786069
WDC's Longest Running Blog Competition - Hiatus
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jul 8, 2018 at 4:53am
Prompts for Week 2 of Unofficial July
Here are the prompts for week 2 of the unofficial 30 Day Blogging Challenge.

I hope you guys are enjoying the unofficial challenge and that it hasn't been too unofficially challenging.

This week's prompts are influenced, if not sponsored by, WDC's own "The Steampunk Authors' Guild , the home of victorian and americana era science-fiction, fantasy and retro-futurism!

IF you would like to talk about the "The Steampunk Authors' Guild sponsoring or collaborating with YOUR challenges or events just send myself or Beck Firing back up! a message and we can talk steam-turbine turkey!

> MOTIVATION MONDAYS!: We'll discuss quotes attributed to people from all walks of life,
> and you're encouraged to share quotes related to the day's topic.

Considered by most to be the spiritual godfather of the genre-mash that is Steam Punk (sciencefiction mixed with fantasy), Jules Verne explored the imagined worlds in his daily musings as well as his stories...

"In spite of the opinions of certain narrow-minded people, who would shut up the human race upon this globe, as within some magic circle it must never outstep, we shall one day travel to the moon, the planets, and the stars, with the same facility, rapidity, and certainty as we now make the voyage from Liverpool to New York!
Jules Verne
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/lists/authors/top_10_jules_verne_quotes

> TALK TUESDAYS!: Prompts will encourage a more opinionated, personal response. Get to know
> your fellow competitors...make sure you're commenting!

Speaking of esoteric travelling and travellers, tell us about the most exotic traveller you have ever met. This traveller may or may not be human!

> WAR CHEST WEDNESDAYS!: A prompt from the pool of challenger-submitted prompts known as The
> Challenge War Chest.

An old prompt from the creator of the 30 Day Blogging Challenge, Earl.

"In the past few years books have been adapted into movies. Some have not lived up to their novel origins. What book adaption have you not been impressed by? If you could, would you re-film the movie? What book(s) do you think could make an impressive movie? What book(s) do you think couldn't be made into a movie, no matter what the circumstances?"

> Thursday is THE WILDCARD ROUND!: Anything can happen! Be prepared...and you might win a
> random prize! It could be Gift Points, raffle tickets, or even a Merit Badge!

This week for Wild Card Thursday, I'd like you to detail your day for us - break it down into your daily routine. But then, if you are up to it, put a twist on it. Give us the same routine as if it was either 100 years in the past or 100 years in the future.

> FUN FACT FRIDAY!: I'll provide you with a random fact, and you give us your take on
> it. Feel free to share a random fact of your own as well!

Jules Verne wrote 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, Journey To The Center Of The Earth, and Around The World In 80 Days. These tales in which he blends fantastical locations and voyages with a variety of geographic and scientific adetails, are the first science fiction stories, predating even HG Wells by 2 to 3 decades. Since he wrote sci-fi in the midst of the Victorian era, he is considered by some to be the first steampunk.

Here are 2 fun facts about the Jules Verne and his writing life.

1. Before he wrote stories he wrote libretti (lyrics) for operas.

2. His father, upon finding out Jules was involved with the theater, cut him off and Verne became a stockbroker. He was actually quite good at it although he despised it.

> CREATION SATURDAY!: A creative writing prompt from the War Chest will be used. Challengers
> are encouraged to write a poem or story, but any creative interpretation is allowed (I
> once listed a recipe for fake poo)

Using a feature of any Jules Verne tale (hot air balloon or a lighthouse or a submarine or an exotic voyage or locale,etc) - be creative!

The winner will receive a Steampunk Merit Badge donated by "The Steampunk Authors' Guild and voted on by it's members!

> THE SUNDAY NEWS!: I'll take a headline from the past week, and you can share your
> thoughts and opinions on it. Encourage a discussion between your fellow bloggers

"The Aussie mayor who wants America to get tough on guns"

Annapolis, Maryland: As he sailed into the harbour at Annapolis, Gavin Buckley had a simple plan: sell his beat-up old boat, make some money and move on. It was 1992 and Buckley was a 29-year-old from Perth with $200 in his pocket and a lust for adventure.

"I thought I was just passing through but I loved the village feel of the place," Buckley says of the Maryland state capital, a quaint city of 38,000 people a 45-minute drive from Washington, DC. He got a job working at a bar, then fell in love with a waitress at a nearby cafe. He decided to hang around.

https://www.theage.com.au/world/north-america/the-aussie-mayor-who-wants-america...

Thanks guys and you will hear from me this time next week.

I promise to go easy on the Steampunk prompts then, haha.

---
SteamPunk Newsletter Out Now!
 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#2092940 by Not Available.

---
Johny Thundersbeard
Editor, Mentor & Member.
"The Steampunk Authors' Guild
---
WDC Author of the Month May 2012
30DBC Administrator, Judge & Rejigger 2012.
Forum Master "Invalid Item 2016.
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Prompts for Week 2 of Unofficial July · 07-08-18 4:53am
by Thundersbeard 30DBC JULY HOST
Re: Prompts for Week 2 of Unofficial July · 07-09-18 4:08am
by Thundersbeard 30DBC JULY HOST

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Fivesixer.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/action/view/message_id/3197149