*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/item_id/1800861-Experimental-Plot-Challenge
Rated: E · Message Forum · Other · #1800861
30 days of prompts to guide you in outlining a story and developing plot

This wonderful banner was created by Rose Miavirre and she has generously offered to allow it to grace this challenge, she welcomes you all to use it as well, if you like.

Experimental Plot Challenge

Image for the challenge

Have you ever began writing a novel only to find that a third of the way through you want to change the point of view? Or there are so many holes in the plot that it doesn't really even make sense? Or that in chapter one your main character had blue eyes, but in chapter three he has green eyes? Or perhaps you've finished a novel, but there seems to be a lull in the middle? Or you've written everything but the ending and you haven't found a way to resolve all the complications?

Well, if you are interested in improving your understanding of plot structure and learning how to plan a novel before writing it, then this is the challenge for you. I've put together 30 prompts for you to focus on, complete with links to articles and explanations, that will help you understand how plot structure is formed and guide you through the process, step-by-step. This is an intensive challenge and will require you to write approximately 500 words or more a day. However, at the end of this challenge you will have an understanding of your story from a big picture perspective in detailed vignettes. You will have completed a synopsis of your story that follows the plot from beginning to end and even developed the characters with which you will be working.

Plotting is an evolutionary process, so I do not claim that my methods are infallible or even that you will be ready to write a novel from beginning to end once you have completed this challenge. However, if you stick with it to the end, you will have a cohesive understanding of what you are going to write. Personal preference and style make a big difference in any individuals writing process, so the amount of detail you wish to accomplish in the plotting of your novel may require more extensive research or outlining than we cover in this challenge.

The Challenge

I have re-formatted the challenge for the second round. I will only be accepting ten participants this time, with two back-ups, as I do all of the reviewing and updating myself. Reserve your spot now by posting in the forum below with the item number of a book or static item where you will be keeping the results of your challenge. The challenge will begin on December 1st, 2011. In deference to the holidays we will be skipping December 24th and 25th and resuming with prompt 24 on the 26th.

The prompts will be emailed to participants and posted in the forum at 9 a.m., WDC time, every morning, or as close as I can come to that. This way even if you are not an official participant you can still take advantage of this challenge.

To qualify for the rewards given, each official participant must post a link to their entry within 24 hours of each prompts post. In order to make allowances for the inconsistencies of life, three late entries will be allowed without affecting your eligibility, but all entries must be posted by the end of the challenge term.

Rewards

While the results of your work during this challenge are the true reward, every official participant that completes the challenge within the given requirements will be given a merit badge.

Donations

Any donations in support of the Experimental Plot Challengers over the amount of 30,000 GPs will be awarded with a merit badge.

Round Two Donations
30,000 GPs from Billmania - MB given
50,000 GPs from Cobwebby Space Reader Reindeer - MB given
50,000 GPs from millershelly - MB given
30,000 GPs from sunnystarr - MB given

Round One Donations
10,000 GPs from ~SilverMoon~
50 GPs from MissDenise
3,000 GPs from Ladybug
40,000 GPs from Leila - MB given
50,000 GPs from Jay's debut novel is out now! - MB given
50,000 GPs from Sourmaniack - MB given
30,000 GPs from Billmania - MB given
1,000 GPs from Nin9

Judging

There is no judging in this challenge. You are the only true judge of your own work. However, confirmation of adherence to the guidelines set forth will be performed before rewards are distributed. I will also be reviewing the entries of those who qualify for the reward after the challenge is over, but the feedback I give is only my opinion and not a reflection on your status as a challenger.

Round 2 - Challengers

ozarks3213
"Invalid Item
Yes, I as your host will be going through this challenge with you.

Cobwebby Space Reader Reindeer
"Magpie Peggy & The Serial Killer
"Morning in the Mist Revision

citruspocket
"Invalid Item

Hallgerd
"Invalid Item

Prompt Referencing:
"Invalid Post"  
"Invalid Post"  
"Invalid Post"  
"Invalid Post"  
"Invalid Post"  
"Invalid Post"  
"Invalid Post"  
"Invalid Post"  
"Invalid Post"  
"Invalid Post"  
"Invalid Post"  
"Invalid Post"  
"Invalid Post"  
"Invalid Post"  
"Invalid Post"  
"Invalid Post"  
"Invalid Post"  
"Invalid Post"  
{post:}

There is a great challenge specifically for developing character, and it is hosted on a revolving basis as well.

Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1789382 by Not Available.

If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions feel free to e-mail ozarks3213.

0 Posts · *Magnify*
This forum is currently EMPTY!

Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/item_id/1800861-Experimental-Plot-Challenge