*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/item_id/1888874-Journey-to-The-Hobbit-2012---2013
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Activity · #1888874
It is time! Journey with me to Peter Jackson's film Trilogy releases (Confirmed 9/1/12).
Bilbo Baggins' journey may have been unexpected, but my journey follows a path. Here is my plan, and I welcome you to journey along...

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey December 14, 2012

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug December 13, 2013

The Hobbit: There And Back Again July 18, 2014

At the time I first post this forum, it will be approximately 12 weeks until the release of the first portion of The Hobbit from Peter Jackson and the wonderful imagery masters from New Zealand's Weta.

I invite you to fire up your creativity once again as it relates to all writing, imagery and audio that you deem Tolkien-inspired. We can do a search on Writing.com and find a bit over fifty written items in deference to J.R.R. Tolkien. And not so surprisingly, most were placed here in the span of time that the films of Peter Jackson's LOTR Trilogy were readily part of our media consumption. Not as much in the seven intervening years...I expect an upswing again.
Auction item donated by Laus Deo

The primary purpose for the forum, at present, is discussion and sharing as we congregate around the activities. As we get closer, we will have more involved interaction. Will plan up a contest and/or auction before we're through with the countdown to each film! If you wish to make a donation, please send it to the Group ID#882709.
Thank you!

T-Minus Week 13 (9/14/12)
Hear the voice of the Professor
http://io9.com/5941544/listen-to-jrr-tolkien-read-his-poem-namarie-in-elvish
lothlorien forum title page image 2004-5

T-Minus Week 12 (9/21/12)
Photos recently released by New Line/MGM/Warner Bros.and appeared this week in USA Today
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012/09/16/61913-six-new-photos-from-the-hobbit-...
accessing via TheOneRing.net
STEPHEN HUNTER, left, as Bombur, ADAM BROWN as Ori, MARK HADLOW as Dori, JED BROPHY as Nori and PETER HAMBLETON as Gloin in a scene from New Line Cinema's and MGM's fantasy motion picture
"THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY," a Warner Bros. Pictures release. HANDOUT CREDIT: Warner Bros.

T-Minus Week 11 (9/28/12)
How Hobbit are You?
I had a funny conversation with an advertising co-worker recently. I overheard him, from far off, strategizing to sell space for Hobbit ads, something to the effect of maybe a focus on each Dwarf..."How many Dwarves are in this?" A whole lot I thought to myself (not yet sure I wanted to out myself as a total Tolkien geek to a total noob).

But he seemed less shocked at the answer of thirteen dwarves than he was to learn that Bilbo is the only Hobbit in the group! But I admitted to him that Peter Jackson will certainly have his own hand in fitting an introductory scene or two to connect us back to Frodo and company.

So, on that note, I thought I'd invite you to re-visit a bit of fun I call, Meet You at Maggot Farm 

T-Minus Week 10 (10/5/12)
Hmmm...are you saving up yet?

My movie budget was delightfully side-tracked by a spontaneous family night out. [Whereas, I did not think I'd be viewing any movies at full price until well into December]. And, I thought the family agreement would certainly fall toward the sci-fi action flick, Looper. Instead, we saw Hotel Transylvania. It was worth choosing the "family" film, as I witnessed family camaraderie I haven't seen in sometime.

Yes, not related to The Hobbit, but I have you thinking about socking away extra funds so you are ready by December 14, if not sooner.

T-Minus Week 9 (10/12/12)
Fan-fiction; how many homages to Tolkien's Middle Earth do you think exist? Let me direct you to an excellent, albeit incomplete campfire, Conspiracy in Fellowship . It raises questions about the power of music and collective memory. Those of you that have contributed in the past or have followed it probably hadn't realized it was deep like that, huh?

T-Minus Week 8 (10/19/12)
If you thought my countdown week ten was a sellout, and my week nine blatant self-promotion, then let me be worse yet. I get a moment on the soapbox to hoot and holler that a short piece of mine has been accepted for publication in the WDC Anthology! I just found out.

Again, I'm afraid it is not about The Hobbit, but if you want me to draw out how it is related, I'll be sure to make it as fine a speech as Mr Baggins at his eleventy-first birthday.

On the other hand, if you just want me to get the promo over and done with, go to http://wynwidynpress.com/buy-a-book_20.html if you want to purchase a copy of the WDC Anthology to benefit the Writing.com group RAOK! It's supposed to be ready to print in just under 2 weeks.

T-Minus Week 7 (10/26/12)
How many times do you think you will see the movie? Post a note in the forum -- I'm curious.

(Yes, that's all this week -- aren't you busy too?)

T-Minus Week 6 (11/2/12)
I can barely believe it is November. And Sunday we do that fool thing with the clocks getting set back an hour!

Do you imagine Hobbits as true and simple farmer folk, on a strict early to bed, early to rise schedule? Or do you suspect among them are a score of late-night carousers? Or tinkerers? Bakers? Professors?

I wonder if Professor Tolkien ever imagined himself in a character class of his own creation. Of course you say, the lay of "Luthien and Beren." While it is documented in his letters and formalized on the gravestone he shares with his wife, Edith, did they share just a love for language and legend, or fancy the life of near-immortal Elves? [I refer you to Wikipedia if you just got lost at my mention of Luthien]. But preferably, read the even deeper expression of my friend, The Knight Has Found Romance , here on Writing.com

Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1416948 by Not Available.

Did Professor Tolkien truly imagine his wife as Luthien and himself as Beren? It is hard not to be romantic about it. I think it could have been what I am thinking; living an archetype. But I do tend to think people did not couch their relationships in such terms in the early Twentieth Century. Maybe it was British practicality and scholarly convenience to adorn his wife with a name that equates to the endearment, beloved.

Our modern joy in celebrating Halloween by taking on alter egos for a night or a slew of parties is now also supplemented by our list an arm long of avatars, usernames and virtual alter egos we may each use every day. How often do you even think of how much role-playing we do in the Twenty-first Century?

Bilbo Baggins plays a role, especially among the party of Dwarves, in fact he is hired to be with them in the role of Thief. Is that a Hobbit role? If it is out of the ordinary for a Hobbit, then why did he agree to it? Is that where adventure is born?

So how "Hobbit" was Tolkien himself, if at all. Or more importantly, how Hobbit are you?

T-Minus Week 5 (11/9/12)

Mid-week I began receiving several emails to alert me to the availability of tickets for The Hobbit. On Saturday December 8th several of the Arclight venues will show a marathon of the Lord of the Rings films. That's seven hundred seventy-seven minutes of viewing time all in one sitting. Perhaps thankfully I have a prior engagement. I am intrigued by the 3D and High Frame-Rate presentations beginning 12/13 with the La Jolla and Sherman Oaks theaters also having Dolby Atmos.

Also pressed my movie-going budget again by taking the family to see Skyfall.

T-Minus Week 4 (11/16/12)
Sorry my entry was completely blown by Emergency Room visit for my spouse who dislocated a shoulder

(Yes, that's all this week -- aren't you busy too?)

T-Minus Week 3 (11/23/12)
Hope all who celebrate had a tasty Thanksgiving holiday and plenty of leftovers for the pantry.

(Yes, that's all this week -- and a wizard arrives precisely when he means too!)

T-Minus Week 2 (11/30/12)
How can I have this many meetings and things going on? Don't people understand? A movie I've been anticipating for a couple decades is finally arriving in two weeks' time?

(How many of you looking at this have seen the Bakshi Hobbit movie from the Seventies?)

T-Minus Week 1 (12/7/12)
How can I have this many meetings and things going on? Don't people understand? A movie I've been anticipating for a couple decades is finally arriving in two weeks' time?

T-Minus 10 - 9 - 8 - 7 - 6 - 5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - 1 - 0 (12/14/12)
9:45am AMC matinee, Yay!

(1/1/13)
This is the week for celebrating Professor Tolkien -- [January 3 birthday]
I'm considering a raffle event...

(3/19/13) The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey on DVD today!
Visit and consider joining those of us that gathered in fellowship previously:
 The Lothlorien Forum  (ASR)
The Forum for the Lothlorien Group - a place to talk Tolkien!
#885822 by Walkinbird 3 Jan 1892

(10/29/13) A bit late to mention, but this past weekend Peter Jackson announced a Fan preview that will have global scale this upcoming Monday, November 4, 2013. Google it, and you'll find multiple promotions.

Here's just one (a U.S. based one): screening of selected scenes and cast interviews in Miami  

(11/6/13) Based off a tweet from the L(A Team) that I follow, I just high-tailed it over to Rolling Stone to listen to a song by Ed Sheeran to be part of The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

The link to the video -- http://www.rollingstone.com/music/videos/ed-sheeran-releases-hobbit-song-i-see-f...
14 Posts · *Magnify*
Page of 1 · per page   < >
by eyestar~*  •  09-02-13 @ 3:44 pm
by eyestar~*  •  09-02-13 @ 3:40 pm
by Walkinbird 3 Jan 1892  •  01-20-13 @ 2:35 pm
by Arwen9  •  01-05-13 @ 11:52 pm
by Lobelia is truly blessed  •  01-02-13 @ 7:23 am
by Walkinbird 3 Jan 1892  •  01-01-13 @ 4:33 pm
by Walkinbird 3 Jan 1892  •  11-03-12 @ 1:42 am
by writerpenman  •  10-23-12 @ 11:52 am
by Walkinbird 3 Jan 1892  •  09-16-12 @ 9:35 am
by Lobelia is truly blessed  •  09-15-12 @ 4:55 pm
by Arwen9  •  09-12-12 @ 10:35 am
by Walkinbird 3 Jan 1892  •  09-11-12 @ 2:30 am

14 Posts · *Magnify*
Page of 1 · per page   < >
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/item_id/1888874-Journey-to-The-Hobbit-2012---2013