*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/item_id/2265628-The-Rainbow-Readerie
Rated: 18+ · Message Forum · Gay/Lesbian · #2265628
This is the center for news and entertainment from LGBTQ+ contributors on Writing.Com!
Issue No. 1.4
Summer, 2022

title here
Alias: {item:readerie}

line spacerline spacerline spacer
Summer, 2022: The Pride Issue
line spacerline spacerline spacer

Table of Contents

Rainbow Readerie logo
Top row: Mark Bingham, Jonathan Van Ness, and Matthew Shepard
Middle Row: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Marsha P. Johnson, and Oscar Wilde
Bottom Row: Larry Kramer, Sean Hayes, and RuPaul

Editorial Header

The concept of Pride I’ve clutched my whole life was never accurate. I knew it was a special time for us as the LGBTQ+ community, especially given the history of the movement. I dunno if my perception has changed due to age or the magic of WDC, but I do know Pride is so much bigger than I ever realized. Pride transcends “gay” or “lesbian”; it’s a celebration of who we are. Every. One. Of. Us. Because of the Stonewall event in June of ‘69, the queer community has taken June for our own, to celebrate our history as individuals driving the movement. How fun is that? To celebrate who you are regardless of faith and sexuality and every other aspect we fight against for the rest of the year! The coolest part about Pride? It isn’t limited to one month. Hopefully you’ll find Pride spills over, and that’s how it should work.

This month at the Readerie, you’ll note there have been changes. There is no more poll. Nobody is in competition on a regular basis here. There are more pieces, but don’t allow yourself to be overwhelmed; they’re offered as an anthology, a definition of what this genre looks like in this moment of a greater history on this site…the goal is to celebrate all we are, a mini-Pride parade, if you will. Or if you won’t. It is what it is, quite frankly, and the pieces featured here have made WDC what it is for the LGBTQ+ community and genre. When reading these, be sure to look at the member’s bio…some aren’t active, but they’ve embossed their voices. Notice the dates they were written compared with how we’re seen today. These people have added to our history here on WDC, something we’re doing now for those who log in five years to create profiles as newbies.

Speaking of our history, the genre has added between sixty-five and seventy-five creations since January 1, 2022. For the duration of "The Quills, the LGBTQ+ genre has been handed out only four or five times. This year, there was a list representing this genre, always grossly under-represented. With seventy-five pieces already completed, this community is screaming who we are for anyone to listen. Make sure to keep eligible stories in mind regarding the Quills. Too many strong pieces have passed through with no recognition…no reason for that anymore.

Below, you’ll find poetry and prose, all lengths from different points-of-view…there are Quill-nominated pieces from throughout the years, and the contributions are written by the rainbow, every color. I’m certain I have people in the wrong category, and I’d appreciate if you’d let me know. I don’t want you to be misrepresented. Go through all the pieces; go through none. They’re simply here as an index of where we’ve been, who we are, and what we’re doing for newbies who don’t yet know they belong. I’ve read them all, and I suggest you do the same. Each piece is its own float, a bright, colorful celebration of each writer who took the time and care to document every painful shard so we can have a clear idea of what the whole lamp looks like. Or whatever metaphor you wanna use. You get what I’m sayin’.

There’s also a section of members I’ve found to be influential. Each has changed the site in their special way, and besides my words explaining my reasons, you are definitely encouraged to go through their portfolios, to see who they are besides that which they’ve done. I wanna send my personal “thank-you”s to those who’ve encouraged me behind the scenes: Elle (she/her), Lornda, Jayne, Lilli ☕️ 🧿, Adherennium, Annette, Fyn, A E Willcox and Richard's Harvest Begins!…they’ve all had an influence on me and on the Readerie. And, for the first time, because I know what Pride is, I’ve snuck in a couple of my pieces as an offering.

Don’t forget to click the plus sign in the right, upper corner twice until it becomes a megaphone. You’ll be able to see every time an update is made to "The Rainbow Readerie.

Rhymer Signature

Features title

rainbow linerainbow linerainbow line

Merit Badge in Pride
[Click For More Info]

Congratulations on your new merit badge! Thank you for supporting the Writing.Com community with your inspirations, participation and activities. We sincerely appreciate it! -SMs   Influential Members   Merit Badge in Pride
[Click For More Info]

Congratulations on your new merit badge! Thank you for supporting the Writing.Com community with your inspirations, participation and activities. We sincerely appreciate it! -SMs

*Heartp*  Max Griffin 🏳️‍🌈

Max Griffin 🏳️‍🌈 has been a member of the WDC community since 2007, and his actions around the site, including hosting and judging the "Cross Timbers Contest, giving in-depth, helpful reviews at "The Review Spot, and allowing us to follow his evolution as a writer are why he’s my list of most influential members. His novels can be found on Amazon.com  .

*Hearto*  Osirantinous

Osirantinous has made her mark on the LGBTQ+ genre by encouraging creativity with her contest "The LGBT Writing Contest. The competition has been a part of the community since 2014, but the kicker is this: Osirantinous is an ally who was given the responsibility of the activity by someone else. Ensuring the queer community has had a place to post our stories, she’s continued the tradition of "The LGBT Writing Contest and made it her own. She took the responsibility for a contest geared to an audience not of her own community just to give a safe place. Her folder "The Kare no Kareshi Home for Gay Fiction is devoted to LGBTQ+ works she’s created, so make sure to go meet her.

*Heartg*  PiriPica

Earlier this year, PiriPica acted upon her beliefs that there should be a merit badge for women, and it does seem odd there wasn’t one before. Good on her for seeing the absence and correcting the inequality with her introduction of the Women’s merit badge! Go through her port…she’s added more than the badge, but…I mean! What an awesome addition to the merit badge collection!

Merit Badge in Women's
[Click For More Info]

"I always feel the movement is a sort of mosaic. Each of us puts in one little stone, and then you get a great mosaic at the end."

- Alice Paul  

This Women's genre badge was created in the spirit of the International Women's Day. Let the above quote from an eloquent suffragette remind you that you contributed to the mosaic by making Women's literature a bit more visible here on WdC.

*Heartt*  Victor L. Rolling Jr.

When I chose to feature Victor L. Rolling Jr. in the poetry edition of the Readerie, he surprised me by offering an alternative piece, one he’d written especially for the Readerie. I don’t know how popular he is, and I can’t say I care. I do know that by going further than I’d expected of him, he made a hell of an impression. Not only that, his works are good; there’s a Langston Hughes vibe, as if he knows where he is in the world without maybe knowing. The poem, "Fairytale, has been nominated for a 2022 Quill for Best Medium-Length Poem, Free Verse.

*Heartb*  Buddhangela's Brave & Crazy

Buddhangela's Brave & Crazy has been a member of the WDC community since October of 2021, her 2022 Quill-nominated activity - "Not-Just-Spring-Cleaning Forum in Best Activity - is a remarkable feat for someone so novice to the site. Without her support and help and adaptability, the Anti-bullying group’s raffle might not have been such a success. "The Hall of Mirrors, WIP , her contribution for "I Write: Enter the Second Decade, is evolution-in-progress as one can see how she’s putting into practice what she’s learning in real time. She’s an excellent example of fire and creativity hidden in our “newbies”.

Merit Badge in Quill Award
[Click For More Info]

Congratulations on winning Best Dark in the 2021 edition of The Quills!   Quill Pieces   Merit Badge in Quill Honorable Mention
[Click For More Info]

Congratulations for your Honorable Mention for Best Short Story (1) in the 2021 edition of The Quills!

*Trophyg*          "A Solitary Snowflake"   by L_P
2021 Honorable Mention: Best LGBTQ+; Finalist: Best Short Story(1)

*Trophyg*          "Some Else's Happiness"   by Mel Thomas
2021 Nominee: Best Short Nonfiction

*Trophyg*          "Solstice At Avebury"   by Choconut ~ Edit, Edit, Edit
2019 Nominee: Best Short Story(2)

*Trophyg*          "A Photograph Hides the Truth"   by Andy~hating university
2021 Finalist: Best Medium-Length Poem, Free Verse

*Trophyg*          "Agate"   by Satuawany
2017 Honorable Mention: Best Short Story(2)

*Trophyg*          "The Queen of Serpents"   by Rhymer Reisen
2022 Nominee: Best Novel/Novella

Merit Badge in Fleur -de -Lis
[Click For More Info]

The Fleur-de-lis is a symbol that reminds me that Peace begins with me. It is a cleansing and sacred symbol. While it originated in France and is a stylized lily, it holds different meanings to different people and eras. It is often used as a Mark of Cadency. One meaning, which I have always been drawn to is that it indicates the 'mark of something different'. We are all different, in all the best ways. May peace be your constant companion as you flourish in your uniqueness. Hugs, Lilli   Supporters   Merit Badge in Fleur -de -Lis
[Click For More Info]

The Fleur-de-lis is a symbol that reminds me that Peace begins with me. It is a cleansing and sacred symbol. While it originated in France and is a stylized lily, it holds different meanings to different people and eras. It is often used as a Mark of Cadency. One meaning, which I have always been drawn to is that it indicates the 'mark of something different'. We are all different, in all the best ways. May peace be your constant companion as you flourish in your uniqueness. Hugs, Lilli

"Unconditional"   by Jamie Gonzalez
"Pride Month Love Letter"   by Mumsy is published!
"Cinderella - An Alt. Version Chapter 1"   by Adherennium
"Howling at the Pink Moon"   by Redtowrite
"A Brilliant Writer"   by Fyn
"Tracing Paper"   by Dawn Embers
"Love at First Class"   by WriterAngel
"What's a Drag Queen to do for Love?"   by Redtowrite
"Yet More Light"   by Sophy
"The Librarian"   by Robert Edward Baker
"Rain Song"   by iKïyå§ama in Wonderland!
"Roses Are Red"   by Elle (she/her)
"Sock It To Me"   by Elle (she/her)
"LGB++"   by Starling
"The Great Egg Shortage"   by Jon Little (he/him)

Merit Badge in Gay Lesbian
[Click For More Info]

*^*Heart*^**^*Hearto*^**^*Hearty*^**^*Heartg*^**^*Heartb*^**^*Heartv*^*   LGBTQ+ Community   Merit Badge in Gay Lesbian
[Click For More Info]

*^*Heart*^**^*Hearto*^**^*Hearty*^**^*Heartg*^**^*Heartb*^**^*Heartv*^*

Fiction:

"R&D"   by My Sox Rox
"After Practice"   by A.D. Writes
"A Running Leap Chapter 1"   by Kyle Lawrence
"Invalid Item"   by A Guest Visitor
"The Meta-Floor"   by Rhymer Reisen
"The Road to Jericho"   by Scott Ramsey
"Out"   by Dawn Embers
"A Big Flashy Fun Rainbow Ball "   by Kåre Enga in Montana 🇺🇦 - I’ve placed this under fiction, but we all know…lol
"Love in Quarantine"   by 🌈GERVIC⚧️🏳️‍🌈

Nonfiction:

"Armed and Unintimidating"   by Sondheimite
"aprils "   by Betsy Dean
"Fag."   by Bateman
"Can You Contract HIV Having Oral Sex?"   by Kathy M
"In Rainbow Socks"   by ⭐Princette♥PengthuluBells
"GOD"   by cutepittgrl
"I'm Not A Girl"   by ⭐Princette♥PengthuluBells

The Rainbow Record

"The Rainbow Readerie Archives

"The LGBTQ+ Travel Agency

The Quills

Forum Suggestions

Proud Supporter

Feel free to use the above image on any piece you’d like to show support. Just copy and paste {image:2267445-50%} into the body of your piece! It’s that easy!

169 Posts · *Magnify*
Page of 7 · per page   < >
by Kåre Enga in Montana 🇺🇦  •  about 10 hours ago
by Dennis Wolf2  •  06-30-22 @ 9:47 pm
by Rhymer Reisen  •  06-30-22 @ 5:43 pm
by Dennis Wolf2  •  06-28-22 @ 4:00 pm
by Elle (she/her)  •  06-09-22 @ 8:27 pm
by Rhymer Reisen  •  06-09-22 @ 8:11 pm
by Elle (she/her)  •  06-09-22 @ 6:26 pm
by Kåre Enga in Montana 🇺🇦  •  06-09-22 @ 5:32 pm
by Dennis Wolf2  •  06-09-22 @ 3:25 pm
by Rhymer Reisen  •  06-08-22 @ 9:58 pm
by Dennis Wolf2  •  06-08-22 @ 6:20 pm
by Elle (she/her)  •  06-07-22 @ 7:31 pm
by Tileira  •  06-07-22 @ 6:06 pm

169 Posts · *Magnify*
Page of 7 · per page   < >
Previous ... -1- 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... Next
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/item_id/2265628-The-Rainbow-Readerie