*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1081049
Rated: E · Message Forum · Animal · #226728
The tales of your pet. Has your furry friend made you laugh, cry, rant & rave.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jun 5, 2005 at 5:58pm
Pumpkin (now as round as one)
by susanL
We have two pets, a dog and cat, but this little story is about our cat, Pumpkin, and her earlier, livelier, THINNER days! I had a brother living with me several years ago. He'd just been released from the army and came to live with my husband, children, and I. He got a night job so he slept in the day, in a small room we created for him in the basement. Pumpkin was a young cat then. We let her out at her will and she pretty much-and happily-terrorized and ruled the neighborhood. We had an array of mouse carcuses dotting our driveway; no sooner did we pick them up than she would create more. I think our house became known as the "mouse boneyard." But I guess mice weren't challenging enough for her. One Saturday morning I was startled by a piercing scream from the basement. The sound was awfully high-pitched to have come from my brother, but there was no other explanation. I hurried to the stairs, pausing midway, where Pumpkin was sitting serenely on a step, surveying her handywork with pride. My brother, a big man, was literally shaking as he relayed to me that he'd been jolted awake when something furry-NOT Pumpkin-had bounced across his chest. I couldn't believe what my eyes finally ferreted out...Pumpkin had captured a live, bouncing, very frightened white rabbit! The rabbit, in its fear, was finding every nook and cranny to burrow into. It took my husband and brother forty-five minutes to finally get it captured and back outside. We all breathed a sigh of relief--until Pumpkin re-captured her prize and brought it down again! After another 45 minutes of "fun" with a rabbit, I admonished the men to put the thing in a yard far away from ours. To this day, we don't know if Pumpkin was planning to eat her prize or treat it like a child. She was spayed and never had the opportunity to be a mother...hmmm. Hopefully we'll never know!
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Pumpkin (now as round as one) · 06-05-05 5:58pm
by susanL

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Wannabe.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1081049