*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1099697
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Community · #939896
Have something that just makes you mad? Well, here's the place to complain about it!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jul 13, 2005 at 3:01pm
Re: the ever-popular Work
I believe there's labor laws that dictate when and how long your breaks/lunch periods can be. Here, in California, it's the law that if you work for 4 hours, you get a 10 minute break. Six hours you get 15 minutes. Six and half or more, it's at least a half hour lunch. 8 hours? You get two 10 minute breaks and an hour lunch. So I'm actually scheduled a nine hour shift. So let's say you're working an 8 to 5 shift. Two hours into your shift, you'd get a 10 minute break. Two hours later, at noon, you'd take your hour lunch, and come back at one. Two hours later, at 3pm, you'd take your second 10 minute break, and then go home at 5pm. And because I'm union, they're not supposed to make you take your lunch earlier than 3 hours into your shift or later than 5 hours into your shift.

Now I admit I never get to take my breaks. It's not like they say I can't have them, but it's known chain-wide that if you're in management, you basically give up those things. If I wanted to take them, I wouldn't be told no, but then I would be looked at like an inferior worker. So, I sometimes get pissed about the break thing, too.

How long are your work shifts usually? I think I'll look up PA's labor laws, because you should get some sort of break. And as far as leaving you up front while the other two smoke, that's almost like discrimination or something! Wow, that really makes me mad! And if I told Austin (he's the union shop steward at his store) he'd be pissed, too! I know you're obviously not union, but he's all about protecting the working-class!

Anyway, sorry, poisonivy for taking up so much room in your forum with my own rant!
MESSAGE THREAD
the ever-popular Work · 07-13-05 9:13am
by spidey
*Star* Re: the ever-popular Work · 07-13-05 3:01pm
by Susannah Deschain
Re: Re: the ever-popular Work · 07-13-05 3:42pm
by poisonivy

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, poisonivy.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1099697