*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1196217
Rated: ASR · Message Forum · Other · #660949
Competition: Each fortnight new prompts for a short story + 10,000 GPs/Awardicon available
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jan 3, 2006 at 10:50pm
Harriet and the Lighthouse
The old woman sat in the rocking chair by the window, but her mind was miles and years away. Last night’s television show about New England brought back memories of her childhood in Maine.

“Harriet, have you been down bothering the people at the lighthouse again?” These scolding words from her mother caused the 10-year-old girl to shake her head in denial.

“I’m not bothering them, Mom,” Harriet said quickly. “They said I could visit any time I wanted.”

“Child, what is it about that old building you find so attractive? I know the lighthouse is stunning, but standing as it is on the ocean’s shore, it’s much too dangerous for you to play near.” Her mother looked off in the distance toward the harbor where the ancient but still serviceable building was located.

Ever since 1954, when Harriet’s family moved to a few miles from the lighthouse, the ocean’s shore with its crashing waves drew the child like a magnet. The lighthouse keeper and his wife, an older childless couple, often would visit Harriet’s family in the evening. After supper, they would spin tales of shipwrecks and pirates to the impressionable child. One Christmas, Harriet’s mother received a beautifully crafted quilt from the lighthouse keeper’s wife that the teenage girl treasured after her mother’s death.

It was a unique quilt made from old hurricane warning flags and now rested over the legs of the old woman. The years of the woman were winding down, and she actually looked forward to death. She had led a long and full life, loving one man for over 60 years and raising five healthy children. Now, two months away from turning 100, she had outlived all her family members and most of her friends.

Sitting there by the window, rocking back and forth, she could almost hear the mournful sound of the old lighthouse’s foghorn. Her eyes closed and the rocking gradually slowed then stopped. Her soft breathing was the only sound in the room, and it too soon stopped.

Out by the ocean’s shore, a young girl danced in the wind near a lighthouse. Both the building and child were young and strong again. They would remain so until the end of time.

-STOP-
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Harriet and the Lighthouse · 01-03-06 10:50pm
by J. A. Buxton

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Rasputin.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1196217