*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1205822
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: ASR · Message Forum · Educational · #988545
Detective "Bird" is your source for all things made new again through research!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jan 17, 2006 at 1:31pm
The Lady of the Lake
Vivienne is supposed to be the Lady of the Lake. I'm stepping away from pure literature for a moment to note that in the TV movie, Merlin, with Sam O'Neill, I liked how the Lady of the Lake was made the sister of Queen Mab. (Eventhough, that is a departure from any Arthurian references that exist - plus Mab is not a character of Arthurian legend). I think it was done more to make somekind of sense out of there being a lake spirit at all. As Mab is one of those ancient ritual-based entities that helped people connect sense to their surroundings ans seasons. As such, I also reason that the Fairie Queen would have been a part of the storytelling of Arthur's ancient Britain.

I've stepped away from the point; sorry. In Marion Zimmer Bradley's Mists of Avalon, Vivienne (spelling is probably different) is a priestess on the island, guardian of Excalibur, can we surmise, of Arthur as he passes to the Misty Island himself. I haven't read this, one of my favorite books in sometime, but I recall a strong relationship for Morgan Le Fey with Vivien, even if strained at times.

Correct me there if I'm wrong.

Follow Walkinbird

When the final light is extinguished –
Recognize the next available Source in the darkness ** Image ID #897589 Unavailable **

SigArtist MySoftHeart ** Image ID #924786 Unavailable **
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
The Lady of the Lake · 01-17-06 1:31pm
by Walkinbird 3 Jan 1892

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Walkinbird 3 Jan 1892.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1205822