*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1419805
Rated: E · Message Forum · Contest · #1172625
This is a monthly contest that will reward all experiences entered.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Dec 19, 2006 at 12:00am
My Little Brother
by Calvin
Steve crept quietly behind me as we crossed the creek and started up the ravine. I was carrying his knife and back pack as he was putting all his effort toward keeping his rifle pointed in a safe direction. As we climbed the last few feet through the mountain mahogany bushes, we saw the big buck. He stood just on the east edge of the saddle about a hundred yards in front of us. I tapped Steve's shoulder as he quietly dropped to his belly and rested the rifle barrel over a piece of a branch. Boom! The shot rang out as the Majestic mule Deer buck dropped to the ground. Steve jumped to his feet and yelled.
"I got him". I just smiled and said "You sure did buddy."

This was about the third time Steve and I had spent time together. We had chosen each other as Big and Little in the Big Brothers and Sisters program. I knew his family and his mom knew he and I would get along fine. He had just finnished hunters Safety and turned 12. His dad had promised to take him hunting but when the time came he was too busy.
I had been watching the huge herd of Mule Deer, grazing on our ranch, all summer and I knew there were too many bucks. I knew their every move and God Knew just the right little brother for me.

We dressed out the buck and drug him to the pickup. As we drove down the road we saw beavers felling a tree. As we got close, they slipped into the pond and splashed a loud warning with their flat round tails. The brightly colored leaves of the quaken aspens drifted all around and the water in Carter creek glistened. I told Steve stories as we drove along and he shared a few about times with his Grandpa. As we pulled into the yard my mom waved and told us dinner was ready. We got a gamble stick and hanged the buck in the barn. We took a bucket of fresh cool water and rinsed him out. As we walked to the house
Steve thanked me and said how glad he was to have me for a big brother.

About four days later my Dad called me at College and said Steve was in trouble. He had come home and found his mom on the couch with a man. He yelled at her and turned to leave. She jumped up and grabbed him and he kicked her in the stomach. She grabbed a frying pan and hit him as she and her new boyfriend got dressed and took him to the police station. The Police had called Mom and Dad. They were registered Foster parents. The Police knew I was Steve's Big brother in the program and they knew if my parents had survived raising me, they could handle Steve.

The hearing was the next day and I was busy with College. My parents said it would work out fine if I just stayed at School. They were prepared to be there and help defend Steve.
The Mother and her boyfriend came to court with Steve's little brother and baby sister. Steves Mom had the first opportunity to testify and she told how Steve was supposed to be baby sitting and he came home late. She said he kicked her when she reprimanded him and the boyfriend agreed. She said he was a bad boy and she never wanted to see him again. She suggested they should send him to a reform school. When her testimony was complete my parents came forward, one holding each of Steve's hands.

My Dad slowly explained how they were willing to take Steve and give him a chance. Daddy said it was important to try to keep Steve near his friends and school. The Judge knew what was right and he gave Steve the opportunity to live with my parents. I won't tell you everything was perfect but Steve got his grades up to a B average. He had no more trouble with his teachers and he and I worked together on weekends. We made great progress for about six months.

At the six month hearing Steve's Mom saw an opportunity to get him back as a free baby sitter. My parents sat through the hearing and choked back tears. Daddy told Steve that he could come back anytime as long as he stayed off drugs and alcohol.

Steve and I did not get together on weekends because his mother had requested a termination of our Big brother relationship. I was sad but in cases like this the parents often have control. Six months later Steve called from the Police station and asked if he could come back. The Police told my parents that they didn't think that was a good idea. Steve was using drugs and he would best be served by a treatment center away from our home town.

I heard that Steve was in a hospital for treatment about two years later. In 1982 I recieved a call from Steve. He owned a Hot Tub business and had been sober for two years. He just wanted to call and tell me he was doing fine and he sure wanted me to know how much he appreciated us. I smiled and bowed my head as I said "Thank You Jesus"
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
My Little Brother · 12-19-06 12:00am
by Calvin
Re: My Little Brother · 12-19-06 2:31pm
by equalchance

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, equalchance.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1419805