*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1578226
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Other · #1312285
Delight me with your guests, and don't forget a good menu.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Sep 7, 2007 at 11:03am
Welcome to Scarlett's Dinner Party
AROUND THE TABLE

I guess I’m fortunate in being spoiled for choice in who I’d like as dinner guests, but unfortunate in having to select who’d take priority. The first few names jumped into my mind without hesitation but after that a lot of weighing up had to be carried out. So, here are my choices, in no particular order.

1. Robbie Williams – To me, the most charismatic man ever to perform on stage with a personality to match his unique and exquisite singing voice. Complex yet faithful to his roots, his humour, charm and natural love of people would grace anyone’s party I’m certain. After a few choice bottles of wine, I’m sure he’d have everyone singing and dancing around the table, or possibly under it.

2. Boris Becker – My first visit to the Wimbledon Tennis Tournament was in 1985 when a seventeen-year-old, unseeded German broke all the records by winning the Men’s Final. I’d followed this young man’s progress with interest and am honoured to have been there as he raised the trophy for the first time. I was smitten from the start with this man’s physical presence, depth of personality and his philosophical approach to life. Maturity has proved him to be a wonderful mentor and a character who would light up any room. (Just forget the cupboard incident, okay?) Whether you’re looking for tips on your topspin or how to get in touch with your inner self, I’m sure Boris would be an asset to all the guests.

3. Marilyn Monroe – In my mind, probably the most beautiful woman ever to have lived. I’d like her to be Norma Jean for the party, dressed as she wants to be and not forced to maintain an image for the sake of the media. I’d love to hear her side of the story and show her the genuine warmth she was obviously deprived of in her short and tragic life.

4. Princess Diana – Another beautiful woman, inside and out, misunderstood, abused and ultimately destroyed by a life she was not cut out for. I have no time for the Royals but Diana was surely one of the most gracious ladies to ever reside on our planet and I’m sure she’d be loved and cherished by those around my table.

5. John Lennon – A man I think of as a prophet, whose simple philosophy in his song ‘Imagine,’ should be adopted by all. Tragic that his troubled life should end in violence after he’d found his own inner peace and happiness. I’d like to hear in his own words how he made that journey and what lessons we can all learn from him.

6. Nada There are so, so many writers on WDC I would love to meet and spend time with, but if I have to choose one, then it has to be her. A whole room full of bloggers would result in a very lively and hectic party of a different nature. A dinner party would give Nada and I the chance to cement our friendship in the flesh, share our thoughts, anecdotes and life histories as well as an opportunity to compare shoe collections.

7. Ricardo Campos – An online friend of mine for many years who I will probably never meet due to the vast distance between us. I know he’d make everyone laugh with his terrific sense of humour and his intellect would provoke many interesting and stimulating conversations. I’d be delighted to meet him in person if only for this one occasion.

8. My American Grandfather – or Pop as he was known. My family left America when I was only one, so obviously I have no memories of him. I do remember the letters we exchanged in later years until he passed away. He seemed to have a very strong, fascinating personality and I’d love to discuss the history, genealogy and stories of our large family on that side of the pond.

9. My son Paul – The light of my life despite the recent developments and a young man with huge potential to entertain and interest people. I believe he’d learn a lot from the other guests and hopefully see what a lot he has to offer too. It’s a while since I’ve seen him or had chance to talk with him exclusively as mother and son.

10. Neil Bliss – A fairly recent male friend I would love to find out more about and introduce to all the great people I have invited to my dinner party. I think he’d fit right in very comfortably and his Yorkshire accent would cause some amusement I’m sure. Just a genuinely, unassuming nice guy who I’d like to get to know better and provide the opportunity for him to shine in special surroundings.

11. My sister Penny Sue – Why? Because I love her from the heart of my bottom. A party could never be a party without my sister.

Wow, I’d really look forward to this party. I’d keep the cuisine fairly simple and buffet style, so people could get to know each other and chat without too much interruption from courses being served. Lots of vegetarian food as I know that would be preferred by some, with fish and light meats, cheeses from around the world and plenty of interesting nibbles. I would include my own rum and raisin cheesecake and double chocolate cake for desserts – calorie-packed but worth it for this very special event. Coffee and after-dinner mints to follow.

I’d hope The Literary Penguin would agree to be the wine waiter and keep our glasses topped up. I’d like him to meet my guests and find out why I chose them and as this contest was his idea in the first place, I think he should be able to attend all our dinner parties without formal invitation.
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Welcome to Scarlett's Dinner Party · 09-07-07 11:03am
by Scarlett
Re: Welcome to Scarlett's Dinner Party · 09-07-07 3:17pm
by The Literary Penguin

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, The Literary Penguin.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1578226