*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1590140
Rated: 18+ · Message Forum · Contest · #1199662
48 hours to write a short story to a prompt. Enter to win great prizes.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Sep 29, 2007 at 11:15pm
entry {A Knight on the Farm}
by A Non-Existent User
" I hate car chases ."she said and grabbed another handful of popcorn.
Benny tried to ignore his sister . Personally this was his favorite part of the movie and she wasn't going to spoil it for him. He fingered the key in his pocket. He was going to lock her back up again as soon as they got home. She was no fun after all.
Benny had no friends since the accident. He was just too scary. The livid scar across his pale face was shocking. At least Mary didn't make fun of his face like the other kids did.
Maybe he would leave her out a little longer. Uncle Joe would not be back until morning.
Nobody would find out .
When the movie was over ,Mary turned and kissed her big brother on the cheek.
"Thank you Benny.she said, this was wonderful."
Benny swore and told her to cut it out but it moved him . He decided to buy ice cream on the way back to the old farm. He sneaked her out the back exit and balanced her thin body on his handle bars.
"Tell me a story and I'll buy you an ice cream cone ."Benny said in her ear as they sped down the hard packed shell road. Mary told him a story she had read when she was still allowed to go to school. It was about a giant and a castle with a brave knight. As she spoke a surge of
emotion swelled up inside Benny so that he felt his chest would burst wide open. He realized
how much he loved his sister and that he had to save her just like that brave knight had saved the princess in the story.
Instantly he knew what he had to do.He swerved to turn off the main drag and nearly threw the fragile child off the bike.Mary screamed and asked him what he was doing.
He told her to shut up and pedaled as fast as he could go off into the darkness.
The next morning Uncle Joe came staggering into the wooden shack with a half empty bottle of whiskey in his hand.He yelled for Benny as he slumped down into the only chair.
Benny came in from slopping the hog and stood waiting for Uncle Joe's worst command.
"Bring her to me."he mumbled . When Benny didn't move ,he kicked him and said
"I said go get her now! Benny went to the closet in the only bedroom and unlocked the door.
There was nothing there but an old broom with Marys' jacket around it and her tattered blanket spread over it.
Benny yelled back ,"Come quick Uncle Joe,I think she's dead!"
Joe cursed loudly and slowly got up to stagger into the dark interior of the room.
Benny moved away to let Joe get a closer look . When Joe leaned in to see in the
fetid closet ,Benny shoved him in and locked the door. Joe screamed and kicked and cursed and threatened.
"Let me out you ungrateful fool. Don't you know I took you in when you had nobody else.
Who else would want a scar faced creep and a whining little brat ? Let me out or I will beat you within an inch of your life. "
Benny slid down the wall and sat there shaking .He held the key in his hand but he knew that as soon as Joe sobered up he would find a way out. He had to hurry.
What would the knight in shining armor do now? He would slay the dragon and
cleanse the land of all evil. He would fight a fair fight. If Benny fought Joe now the
odds would be fair. Benny was only 14 but he was big for his age and Joe was older and drunk. let the battle begin.
Benny spoke softly through a crack in the door,"Uncle Joe ,I'm going to let you out in just a minute and we are going to fight.'
"what are you blabbering about you little creep? You let me out right now and maybe I won't kill you and your sister."
Benny left and went out to the run down barn where he and his Dad used to keep their horses. He stood there staring at his father's tools rusting on the wall. Before they died in the car crash his parents had taken great pride in this little farm. He and Mary had only seen Uncle Joe once in their lives before he came to care for them .He had abused them and all that Mother and Father had held dear.
It was time for the avenging knight to save the day. Benny chose the weapons carefully.
He decided on two scythes . They were heavy and deadly. Whoever got in the first blow would ....well he didn't want to think about that. He carried the weapons back to the house
where Joe was crashing against the closet door.
The old wood was beginning to splinter and snap under his efforts and Benny was afraid. Benny screamed for him to stop but the door buckled just at that moment and the red faced man fell out on the floor in front of him. They locked eyes and in that moment
the front door opened and in came Mary and five other people .
Two policemen,a policewoman and two neighbors all rushed into the bedroom with Mary close behind. Benny dropped the two farm tools and stood there shaking. Mary ran to him and put her arms around him. I couldn't wait for you any longer Benny. I got too scared so I went and told Farmer Collins.
Benny watched as one of the policemen put handcuffs on Uncle Joe while the policewoman took out a camera and began taking pictures of the closet where he had kept Mary. "It's all over now son ,Mrs. Collins said softly,You two are staying with us ."
In the back of farmer Collins car Mary told Benny the story again ."That's what you will always be to me , she said, my knight in shining armor . He smiled and threw the key out of the window . 1038words
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
entry {A Knight on the Farm} · 09-29-07 11:15pm
by A Non-Existent User

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Legerdemain.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1590140