*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1590474
Rated: 18+ · Message Forum · Contest · #1199662
48 hours to write a short story to a prompt. Enter to win great prizes.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Sep 30, 2007 at 5:00pm
Memories, and Broken Dreams

Sam and Becky headed out the door in a bit if a rush. They had reservations at the finest restaurant in the area. It was their tenth anniversary, and Sam wanted everything to be perfect for his beautiful wife. There was no way they were going to be late for this dinner reservation.

Sam was an accountant for one of the largest pharmaceutical companies in the world. He was well paid, and he took every measure to insure that Becky knew just how much he truly loved her. He had spent a small fortune on this night’s celebration, but to him it seemed a mere pittance compared to the joy Becky had brought into his life.

They hopped into the ash gray Jaguar and headed to town. The twenty minute drive covered some treacherous road, but Sam and Becky loved the ride. It was a peaceful, leisurely drive for them. They made the trip without saying a word to each other, but sometimes, their silence spoke volumes of love that the outspoken word could not afford one. This was one of those times.

Finally, they arrived at the restaurant. Rusty’s Wagon Wheel Restaurant was famous up and down the East coast for their steak and lobster menu, and for having the best chefs that could be found. Rusty’s almost seemed out of place in the big city.

The rustic look that Rusty’s offered could transport you; if only in your imagination, from the big city to the country the moment you drove onto the parking lot. At the entrance of the parking lot was a three quarter wagon wheel on each side of the drive. These were placed flat side down so as to appear partially buried in the dirt. Coming off of each wagon wheel was a section of split rail fence, and then one piece of horizontal rail from the post to the ground. All around the restaurant itself was a split rail fence, with a life size statue of a horse on one side of the entrance walk, and a bull on the other side. In the corner of the parking lot was a new blue Ferrari that seemed quite out of place to Becky.

Normally, there was someone posted at the entrance with a camera. Parents were allowed to set their children on the statues to have their pictures made. Even though they were a fine dining establishment, they catered to families with children. This was also part of Rusty’s appeal to everyone.

Once inside, the walls were made of rough sided wood, with farm implements and horse shoes hanging on the walls. There was even an old broom hanging on the wall in one place. Usually, the lines to get inside the restaurant ran well outside of the door, and after one gets inside, they are compelled to follow a split rail fence until they reached the place where their seating arrangements are taken care of. This was an atmosphere you could easily lose yourself in, and people didn’t mind the wait, but on this night, the lines were noticeably absent. No-one was there but Sam and Becky.

A year earlier, Sam had paid to rent the entire restaurant. The only people inside were the owner, the chef, the waitress, and the stringed quartet of violinist Sam had hired for the night. The owner had been a professional photographer prior to entering the food business, so he took candid photos of Sam and Becky as they enjoyed the evening.

As the waitress seated Sam and Becky, she lit two candles that were on the table, one of which had an anniversary ring attached to it with a small strand of ribbon. Attached to the ring was a single key. It was part of Becky’s anniversary present. She hadn’t noticed the metallic blue Ferrari in the corner of the parking lot as they came in.

Becky wanted to see her present immediately, but, at Sam’s urging she waited. The waitress brought them their meal, and poured them a glass of champagne from a perfectly chilled bottle of the finest bubbly available. Once she had completed her task and left for the kitchen, the stringed quartet quietly slipped in and began to play every love song that Sam requested to be played during the meal.

Becky asked: “Sam, why do you spoil me so, I didn’t marry you for your money; surely you know that by now.” “I know,” Sam said. “I do it because I love you, I do it because of the love and joy you have brought into my life, because you have made my life complete by being mine, because without you, my life would be empty. I do it because I want to.” Only Becky had noticed the song being played as he spoke, “Wind Beneath My Wings.” She thought it the most beautiful song ever penned at that moment in time.

Sam and Becky left the restaurant and went straight to the corner of the parking lot where her anniversary present awaited her. When she realized it was the very car she had so badly wanted for last six months, she threw herself in his arms and lavished him with kisses. Even though she wanted to drive her new car, she never wanted to let go of Sam, or of this very moment.

After several minutes of pure delight in her husband’s arms she came to her senses and released Sam from the bear hug she had so firmly held him in. Sam asked Becky to follow him home so he knew she would arrive there safely, which she quickly agreed to do, so they got in the cars and headed home.

Little did they know that there was a police chase going on at that very moment. Coming from the opposite direction on the road they were traveling, were two cars driving at break neck speeds. The driver of the car being chased had been involved in several alcohol related hit-and-run accidents that caused thousands of dollars in property damage, and one person to be placed in a nursing home in a coma. The man was driving drunk at this very moment and police were not going to allow him to get away this time.

Just past the half way point to home, Sam came to the most treacherous spot in the road. This place was called ‘Dead Man’s Curve’ for a good reason; it was a hair pin curve that could barely be traversed at twenty miles-per-hour, and was impossible at the one hundred miles-per-hour plus that this crazed alcoholic was driving in his attempt to flee the police.

Then it happened. Right there in front of Becky’s eyes, the alcoholic hit her husband in a head-on collision. Sam’s life had been snuffed out by this drunk fleeing from justice. If there was one consolation, it was in the fact that her husband died instantly, he didn’t suffer.

Becky sat in her car for what seemed an eternity sobbing uncontrollably, her life forever changed for the worst. Her life mate gone, and she would be emotionally scarred forever because of the scene that just played out before her eyes.

Still, Becky had to see this drunken assassin that had taken her husbands life. It seemed so surreal, her husband lay on a stretcher dead, and this drunk whose face was scarred from several prior accidents walked away in handcuffs, without a scratch on his body.

The night that had begun so beautifully, had seemed so perfect it could only be a dream, ended as a nightmare. At least Becky would have the memories Sam had left her with; only now, they would be forever mingled with broken dreams.

Word Count: 1,293
 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1325856 by Not Available.

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **

MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Entry · 09-30-07 5:00pm
by Rob G. ~Led by the Master~

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Legerdemain.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1590474