<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jan 8, 2009 at 4:26pm
Edited: January 9, 2009 at 11:21pm
1-8-09 Poem and journal entry for 1-9-09
by SWPoet
Poem written today.
 Proof of My Epiphany   (E)
Can you take a picture suffient to prove an epiphany?
#1513537 by SWPoet

Journal Entry: Actually written on 1-9-09:

Hello all,
Yet another poem created during my week long training class on the great big computer database AKA "THE CHANGE OVER" in our office-Alabama's gone Paperless (for the most part). Must be the muse has been hanging out among the computers and weary office travelers on a journey that is putting a few of them awfully close to retiring as soon as possible. Change is hard, and we all learn in my line of work that the only thing that doesn't change is change itself.
At the end of the training today, one of the trainers held up an 8 track tape. Yes, I know I'm only 37 but I used to have an 8 track player too. Some of the 20 yo's in the class weren't quite sure what it was ...I felt a tad dated all the sudden. Anyway,
he was saying how it took quite a while to move to cassettes and people fussed, then it went to CD's and now the ipod and iphones and all that. Every year the phones and PDA's and iparaphernalia are reinvented. It took decades for records to go out, several years for 8 tracks too, less years for cassettes and here we are. We made it-we figured it out despite ourselves. Change is like a fence made of razor blades. You cannot sit upon it and remain unaffected. You are either with it or against it. According to my favorite philosopher of late, and I am paraphrasing here but its awfully close to the original so I will put quotation marks anyway "To resist what happens is to allow oneself to be controlled by what happens"

I will get the correct quote at some point. This is from the book, "A New Earth" which I highly recommend. Anyway, what the trainer said this afternoon got me thinking of how much some folks whine about changes and some don't and all it does is polute the atmosphere to here nothing but negative. I noticed one of the instructions for the supervisors during the changeover is to "speak positively to your workers about this new computer program and the direction the state is moving in regards to this program". For the manual writers in the state government to recognize that a positive attitude makes changing much easier to tolerate, this should tell us something. Those who write (or dictate what should be written) these manuals should be working for a pharmaceutical company selling sleep aids.

The poem for the day deals with another totally unrelated subject but I'd love your opinion on it if you made it to this sentence before falling asleep. It concerns trying to capture an epiphany with a camera (or you could think "poetry" or "painting" or any artisitic rendition of an experience or life changing moment. How inadequate a comparison it is but what would happen to our world if we didn't at least try to communicate the merest glimpse of that epiphany. In the world of "Multivalance", who are we to judge if we've adequately captured the moment in ink/photo/paint. Perhaps what you write or paint will become someone else's epiphany. We never know but we must create anyway and leave it up to the universe to match up reader with writer, viewer with photo or painting.

Hope you enjoy.

Brandy

Signature created by our dear talented friend, Kelly1202

** Image ID #1467193 Unavailable **

** Image ID #1265210 Unavailable **
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
1-8-09 Poem and journal entry for 1-9-09 · 01-08-09 4:26pm
by SWPoet

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, SWPoet.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1839134