Rated: E · Message Forum · Other · #1513301
Assignments and poems for the Journey-A Poetry Class
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jan 11, 2009 at 12:00am
Edited: January 11, 2009 at 12:03am
Jan 10 Entry and writing goal results
by SWPoet
Topic of the day, thanks to my new friend Candlemaker (see following entry of his)
 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1503856 by Not Available.

Finding my life's mission.

This is the answer to the questions he puts forth in his essay/life lesson of sorts:

Exhortation and mercy. Out of all the "gifts" he mentioned, these two sum me up. Well, maybe a little teacher out there to bore one to death but the first two I mentioned are definitely me. (don't know what I'm talking about? Peruse his writing first before you move on to read the rest of mine.

He asked:
Begin by asking yourself a couple easy questions.

“What do I enjoy?

Finding information for others that will help them help themselves. Instead of grieving if I find out something is wrong with someone, I go straight to the bookstore and read all about it. (but then, those who are sick don't really want to hear it so I just have to use the info to ease my own worry.) Teaching my sons about life. Telling them where to put their milk so it won't spill and then handing them a napkin if it does anyway.

What gives me the satisfaction of a job well done?

Leaving a clients house feeling that they know I "get it" and don't judge them for what has happened. I am there to evaluate and keep kids safe but the job is the parents' ultimately and if they aren't feeling good about themselves a little, it will spill over to the kids AND Seeing my kids act sweet towards other children and hearing my kids say things I say to them when they don't know I'm hearing (not the semi curse words I say when something drops on my foot but the good things).

What would I do, even if I weren’t paid to do it?

Teach moms about emotional aspects of parenting, encouraging them, writing poetry, looking things up for people, teaching poetry and writing (when kids are older, I plan to do this even if its free) to inspire others to just Write, not to keep editing themselves before they put the pen to paper.

In what ways am I most effective?

When I'm not under the microscope about what time I get somewhere, or when I turn things in. Passion minus pressure equals effectiveness with a good attitude. (less passion + more pressure may get good performance but it won't be done with excitement). I also get more done in blue jeans than dressing up. Casual days are my best at work. Feeling unpressured for time makes me a much more patient and better parent.

And here's my question to the reader of my journal entry. What about you? After reading my friend's entry, how would you answer the questions above?
I'd love to know. But more importantly, do you know your own gifts?

For writing goals I mentioned in "A Year of Changes" Journal Forum,
I wrote another acrostic today (see:
Hello Sunshine  (E)
Waking up to music and little visitors For the Acrostic contest - January 09
#1514092 by SWPoet
) that is attached to the one I wrote yesterday "Sunrise, a new beginning" {which is the lower half of the Hello Sunshine item). I also submitted it to the ACROSTIC's Contest.

As for personal goals: About my goal on going to bed at the same time as my husband (or at least trying to)-I've done pretty good this week although I think he is enjoying this and perhaps taking a tad bit of advantage by reminding me (should never tell your goals to others LOL, they just might hold you up to them). No, perhaps that IS why you should tell others.

Anyway, I also CLEANED my desk off at work and feel so much better about the workspace there. (though I haven't tackled the car yet (YUK).

Still tackling the other goals bit by bit but these little baby steps toward my goals are at least enough to mention here just to log my progress.

My own life happenings (goal of spending time with the kiddos and working on not reacting as much (in frustration) with the tempermental 3 yo (oops, passionate and determined...+ thinking, right?)

Took the boys to their first basketball games of the season. The little one decided halfway through the game he didn't like it anymore and came and sat with me. No amt. of cajoling him or even encouraging him made him remotely want to rejoin the game. To my surprise, the coach gave him a best effort star (the first practice, he refused to participate and the second, he got a goal and was thrilled). He was pleased about the star and says he wants to play next game. We'll see. I let him play b/c he wanted to and his brother was playing . He's not even the smallest on the team and is athletically inclined. I just did it to keep him from obsessing over playing in Will's game but perhaps its too much pressure. Who knows these things. I don't care if he gets the ball or not, or how he plays, but is it wrong for me to want him to finish out the season and to encourage him that his team needs him (they have only 4 players w/o him)? I hope not. On the good side, we are on day 3 of ALL DAY UNDERWEAR (ie, NO MORE DAYTIME PULLUPS. HURRRAY!) He even went like twice during the game, coming to tell me both times. This is big, guys, I'm serious. He'll be 4 in March and we are doing Disney (and didn't want the pull up thing going on). A few months ago, he told us he was just not ready for underwear yet.

Parents should be tightrope walkers, standing on the line b/w encouragement and pressure, so that we show we care, teach them responsibility but not make them a nervous wreck. B/w the potty thing and the quitting the game today, well, I guess we are at least still on the line. And hey, on the plus side, he did play almost half the game and seemed to have a great time (till some kid pushed him down-didn't cry and played a few minutes afterward and then just walked off and sat by me. Said he "just wanted to be by his mommy". When they say that stuff, do they know they've pushed a button. My kid-I betcha he does but it works, LOL.

Enough of the saga guys,
Some of this is just my own record though, so don't feel like you must comment on everything. Although I'd love to hear what you think about the questions in the first section.

Adios,
Brandy

Signature created by our dear talented friend, Kelly1202

** Image ID #1467193 Unavailable **

** Image ID #1265210 Unavailable **
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Jan 10 Entry and writing goal results · 01-11-09 12:00am
by SWPoet

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, SWPoet.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1840409