*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1979134
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #1474311
2023 Sign-ups are CLOSED. A month-long novel-planning challenge with prizes galore.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 7, 2009 at 5:27pm
Re: Antagonist Question
Sure, it's possible to have more than one antagonist. Remember that the antagonist, by definition, is whoever or whatever is creating conflict for your protagonist. If your main character is "antagonistic" because of another person, then it sounds to me like that other person is the antagonist. It depends on your plot, though. If the conflict is due to something the protagonist did, because he dug his own grave out of his own stupidity, then the protagonist may be your antagonist.

Answer this question: When I read your completed novel, on whom will I blame the conflict? Will I be mad at your protagonist for getting himself into whatever mess he's managed to create? Or will I be angry at the other person, the one who caused the protagonist to be the way he is?

Wherever my anger/frustration lies as a reader, that's your antagonist. Your challenge when you complete your Contest Round piece, then, is to make me sympathize with that person, the one I would normally be mad at if I didn't have this back story to explain things. Make me understand his motivations, and soften my anger toward him just a little. Make me see where he's coming from.

Does that answer your question?
MESSAGE THREAD
Antagonist Question · 10-07-09 3:29pm
by A Non-Existent User
*Star* Re: Antagonist Question · 10-07-09 5:27pm
by BrandiwynšŸŽ¶
Re: Re: Antagonist Question · 10-07-09 7:25pm
by A Non-Existent User

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, BrandiwynšŸŽ¶.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1979134