*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2195604
Rated: ASR · Message Forum · Sci-fi · #420688
Welcome Trekkers. Have a cup of Klingon Raktajino, and enjoy our friendly Starbase.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Feb 2, 2011 at 6:51pm
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Star Trek Movie
I think you are sort of confusing Gene Roddenberry's philosophy with Star Trek... Star Trek is full of humans being just as petty as they are today (and 5 minutes later talking about how evolved we are and beyond all these negatives... that they just displayed).

I think everyone should read Star Trek Movie Memories and get a bit disillusioned about this almost mythical figure of Gene. Yes, he had a nice concept, but Star Trek evolved beyond that. If Star Trek was to be what Gene wanted and there were no other creative minds that added more substance and reality, the show would have lasted a season and no spin-offs would exist. There would be no conflict and it would just be a show about perfect people. Funny how somebody was complaining about the cast of the new movie being so perfect... hmmm...

anyways, that's just one though. I thought the movie was great. Everybody that did the original series will admit that one third of the episodes were great and thought-provoking, another third was ok, and the last was horrible. The movies can be divided similarly. And here we have people complaining about a film that was a hit, was perhaps more of an action movie, but also well thought out enough that it holds up to the rest of Star Trek, brought new people into the fanbase... I just don't see the negatives.

My philosophy on this is similar to Stephen King's when they asked him how he feels about the not-so-good adaptations of many of his books.

His books are still on shelves, they haven't changed. The same applies to Trek..

PS If you honestly think anything other than the movie that we got would have been better for the future of trek (getting more interest, possibilites of future films, sponors, actors gaining interest in a dusty franchise) then you need to wake up and look around. We're in the second decade of a new millenium. A movie that drags like the original cast ones, or has no appeal to a wider fanbase will just be the final nail in the coffin of Star Trek.

Give me one suggestion of a film that would have done all of this better. If you can come up with it I will rest my case.

Or we can all just complain and let more dust fall on the franchise until nobody will want to even touch it... let alone have the rising stars in the industry showing great interest.
MESSAGE THREAD
Star Trek Movie · 01-22-11 11:08am
by Amy du Lac Bleu
Re: Star Trek Movie · 01-22-11 12:16pm
by eyestar~*
Re: Re: Star Trek Movie · 01-24-11 2:44pm
by CeruleanSon
Re: Re: Re: Star Trek Movie · 01-24-11 5:03pm
by eyestar~*
Re: Re: Re: Re: Star Trek Movie · 01-24-11 5:17pm
by CeruleanSon
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Star Trek Movie · 01-24-11 6:02pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Star Trek Movie · 01-24-11 9:35pm
by Finn O'Flaherty
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Star Trek Movie · 02-01-11 10:39am
by CeruleanSon
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Star Trek Movie · 02-02-11 3:29pm
by Onyx: a PURPLE MANIAC!
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Star Trek Movie · 02-02-11 3:55pm
by CeruleanSon
*Star* Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Star Trek Movie · 02-02-11 6:51pm
by Filip Janik
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Star Trek Movie · 02-02-11 7:08pm
by Filip Janik
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Star Trek Movie · 02-03-11 7:24am
by CeruleanSon
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Star Trek Movie · 02-03-11 5:15pm
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Star Trek Movie · 02-03-11 5:28pm
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Star Trek Movie · 02-16-11 8:02pm
by eyestar~*
Re: Star Trek Movie · 06-27-11 6:47pm
by Maryann - House Martell

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Maryann - House Martell.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2195604