*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2342591
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Community · #1717439
Social forum to offer support and information to at-risk youth & peers seeking information
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jan 5, 2012 at 5:57am
To all those who long for . . . something
*Dollar* 10,000 GPs were sent to Brooklyn with this post.
I was a troubled child growing up in the South Bronx during the sixtees. We had nothing, not even food most times. My parents, (Heaven love them) sick with Alcoholism paid little attention to my two brothers and me. I know depression, despair and hopelessness like I know my own face in the mirror. I still battle depression every day, but with my life in a better place I don't fall to it as often as I used to.
My message is: Through all the bullying, neglect, loneliness and heartache; a light shines. It is not the light of religion. It is not the light of parent's love. It is the light that vibrantly shines from deep within your own soul. It is the essence of YOU. Who YOU are and who YOU want to be. No bully, no liar, no authority or whack-job can take that away from you. Things DO get better after a while.
I know that in the grasp of the darkness it is hard to see the way. The road is covered over with deep, dark clouds obscuring the view. Wait. Grow into yourself. Give your heart and mind the opportunity to learn about what is deep inside of you. The FORTITUDE . . . DESIRE . . . LOVE OF SELF and DETERMINATION. It is there; down in your heart, pushed back into your mind.
I could have become any number of things; a drug user, an alcoholic, a prostitute, a murderer . . . all of these opportunities raised their heads and beckoned to me as I grew up and remained a problem for me well into my twenties.
But, for that light; that light of LOVE OF SELF that I learned about from a friend, I would now be in jail, a junkie, or worse.
You do not need to think that your life is over because some person who has a miserable life of their own wants to share that misery with you and continues to berate and badger you. Be ABOVE them. Look to the INNER SELF; the one YOU TRULY ARE. Rise above that bully.
The world is beginning to discover it is not okay to push others around. Things change slowly, so YOU must take the BULLY BY THE HORNS. YOU must change the way you think about yourself and your surroundings.
My name is Bertiebrite. That is my screen name here. ANYONE who needs to talk to me about the hard times will be more than welcome to email me. I've been through it, I know and I will lend my hand to ANYONE who needs it.

PS: I have found that writing makes a big difference for me when I am in the grip of depression. I write it down, I read it again and then . . . I tear it up and throw it away. Like throwing away a piece of garbage it helps to shove the problem down and it doesn't smack me in the face. In a way, it is like getting rid of a nag. Try it, it's good for you.

Enclosed is a small donation to add to this group. Use it to help someone
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
To all those who long for . . . something · 01-05-12 5:57am
by bertiebrite hoping for peace
Re: To all those who long for . . . something · 01-05-12 11:23pm
by Brooklyn

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Brooklyn.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2342591