Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Contest · #896794
Enter your story of 300 words or less.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Mar 9, 2012 at 2:46pm
Entry 3/9, The Treasure Hunt, WC: 300
The Treasure Hunt
WC 300

I look east just before dawn; the waning crescent moon reminds me we’ve been searching for twenty-six days. We left camp on the 1st when this old moon was new and our enthusiasm high. Now we trudge along, shoulders slumped, stubbly faces glum.

“How much longer we gonna look?”The voice of Sully Pinkton sounds from behind. “Been trampin’ through these woods for near a month and what’ve we found? Mountain lions. No shortage there.”

The burly naysayer is one of the men I hired after my partners backed out.

“Look, Sully, the map says it’s buried in this general area.”

“Don’t make it so. You’re wastin’ your money chasin’ wild geese, buddy. Everybody thinks so.” With that said, he stomps off.

The others have been showing signs of bolting. I can’t carry the treasure alone, so this is troubling.

I will not let Sully’s words discourage me! I have invested too much time and money. The map shows a clearing with a circle of tall pillars. The X in the center marks the spot. The treasure is there. My father’s sage advice floods back: “Positive thoughts bring positive results.”

I fish my razor, soap and a change of clothes from my backpack and head for the creek. When I return, I will be the leader I was when we began this adventure.

I look toward the sunrise and see tall columns in the distance; they form a circle.

“Yes! Yes! I knew it!”

I run back to the encampment yelling, “I found it, I found it!” only to find everyone gone.

The note on my sleeping bag reads: Can’t pay us enough, buddy. We’re outta here.

I regroup. The treasure’s within reach! My partners will jump in with new enthusiasm.

I see the big cat a moment too late.
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Entry 3/9, The Treasure Hunt, WC: 300 · 03-09-12 2:46pm
by jackiesmuse

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Arakun the Twisted Raccoon.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2369600