*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3093290
Rated: E · Message Forum · Writing · #2087792
A message forum discussing the craft of writing. I often repost articles for discussion.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
May 21, 2017 at 1:35am
Re: What makes a writing competiton a success?
Hello *Smile*

What makes a WDC writing competition a success?
An attentive and creative host who has their eye on the flow of the site at the contest time. Responding to posts, acknowledging entries, updating the forum quickly with current information. And NOT holding big events or not having too big of expectations if another HUGE game is going on at the time. Schedule away from the WdC BDay month of August (I think), Game of Thrones, Masquerade Party. Things like that will ensure great success!

What makes YOU enter a WDC writing competitions?
I have to be motivated by the topics, the setup, or something in a contest here. I use them specifically not for ideas, but inspiration and a little nudge to write the stuff I have going on in my head. . . They help narrow my focus some *Smile*

What do you think your favourite WDC writing competition does right?
My favorite competitions (I'm assuming you mean contests here) are Lexi s "Invalid Item because she gives a few words as a prompt, and they tend to be ones I can manipulate well. Well explained rules and expectations, and she always reviews all the entries. And I like her reviews!

I also enjoy entering 🌑 Darleen - QoD s "Invalid Item She uses image prompts that can cultivate creativity, and has guest judges that make it a bit interesting as far as your audience goes *Bigsmile* It produces some deep, not to mention disturbing, poetry *ThumbsUpL*

I *Heart* Sssssh! I'm not really here. & StephBee - House Targaryen s "The Bard's Hall Contest is a big favorite. They always review their entries, and I know Webby was super supportive of my fiction sputterings lol. It's a good environment to try something new! They throw spokes in the wheels here and there, and get my brain moving. They had a finish-this-story-which-is-pretty-ridiculous-in-16-sentences prompt, and I NEVER write fiction, and it was pretty good! And fun. Usually, I use contests for poetry *Smile*

What do you think most WDC writing competitions do wrong?
THEY DO NOT review entries. If you're too busy, get judges to help. Or wait until you have more time. It's disconcerting to WIN or PLACE, but not to know why-- what they liked about it. Maybe it just is this way with my deep biographical poetry entries, I dunno. It just really bugs me!

These are the three that I enter MOST OFTEN. There's so many great contests out there in WdC Land I just can't even LOOK at them all *Ha*

~(Adrienne) or just 'Whata' *Cross2*

** Image ID #2073828 Unavailable **
Animated text 1/2Animated text 2/2
*ExclaimR*    Not Your Average Non-Fiction Contest!    *ExclaimR*
Mu wa wa wa!
*Up*    Click My Pics!    *Down*

"Poetry - Biographical [ASR] by Whata SpoonStealer
    Compendium of the Stupid Truths, aka "Gullible's Travels"
MESSAGE THREAD
What makes a writing competiton a success? · 05-09-17 6:16am
by Thundersbeard 30DBC JULY HOST
Re: What makes a writing competiton a success? · 05-09-17 6:25am
Re: Re: What makes a writing competiton a success? · 05-09-17 11:01am
by Steev the Friction Wizurd
Re: Re: Re: What makes a writing competiton a success? · 05-09-17 8:59pm
Re: What makes a writing competiton a success? · 05-09-17 11:27pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: What makes a writing competiton a success? · 05-09-17 11:37pm
Re: Re: Re: What makes a writing competiton a success? · 05-09-17 11:42pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: What makes a writing competiton a success? · 05-10-17 4:21am
by Steev the Friction Wizurd
Re: Re: What makes a writing competiton a success? · 05-13-17 10:48am
*Star* Re: What makes a writing competiton a success? · 05-21-17 1:35am
by Whata SpoonStealer
Re: Re: What makes a writing competiton a success? · 05-21-17 8:13pm
by Sssssh! I'm not really here.

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Thundersbeard 30DBC JULY HOST.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3093290