*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3098455
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Message Forum · Other · #2016379
Discuss all things relating to writing and genre.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jun 9, 2017 at 3:51pm
Re: Re: How to create great prose
by Tobber
Thanks for the suggestion Hanna. Here it is:

I follow Doctor Tang into his sterile white practitioner’s office where Granny sits staring out the window.

At first I put the doctor’s flat, emotionless smile down to a distanced professionalism, but then he sling out the words, cold and carelessly.
“My best guess is your grandmother got about two weeks left.” He doesn’t even look up from his papers.

That’s all he got? Not even a Sorry. We travelled all the way here to get his help, and he’s giving us a freaking guess at when she’s going to die. And who does he think he is, talking about her like that? She’s sitting right there douchebag.

My fists clinch instinctively, trembling with anger, itching to feel that long since sensation again. My Khmer boxing career might never have amounted to much, but I can take this old bookworm easily, teach him a lesson or two.

No, not in front of Granny. She taught me better than this. He’s my elder, and even if he doesn’t act like it, he deserves my respect.
I take a deep breath and sigh, stretching my fingers, letting the blood flow past my knuckles once more, and smile at Granny. I wonder how much of the situation she perceives.

And A E Willcox I'm not hating your answer. In fact, it's probably what I'd answered anybody who might've asked me the same question. Still, I can't help hoping some of the many skilled people in the group have some insight I'm missing and wouldn't mind sharing it.
MESSAGE THREAD
How to create great prose · 05-11-17 4:51pm
by Tobber
Re: How to create great prose · 06-01-17 6:36pm
by Hanna
*Star* Re: Re: How to create great prose · 06-09-17 3:51pm
by Tobber
Re: How to create great prose · 06-08-17 11:45pm
by A E Willcox

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, David the Dark one!.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3098455