*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3099525
Rated: ASR · Message Forum · Fanfiction · #2077921
Writing challenge to earn the Darcy Merit Badge.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jun 14, 2017 at 11:21pm
Challenge #2
The oddest part about Darcy's and Elizabeth's courtship is how little time they truly spent together. The book states that Bingley took possession of Netherfield at Michaelmas, which is late September for all but the Greek and Roman Orthodox churches. Then they left for London before Christmas, not too long after the ball at Netherfield that Bingley himself confirms to have occurred on the 26th of November. So about two, maybe two and a half, months.Then Elizabeth goes to Charlotte in April. Darcy did not arrive in Kent until Elizabeth had already been there two weeks, or should I say a fortnight? The men come and go before Elizabeth leaves and she was only in Kent for six weeks herself. Since they left several days before Elizabeth, let's say they were there for three weeks. Then Elizabeth meets him in Derbyshire, but it seems that they only spent maybe two or three days together at most before Elizabeth's family had to hurry back to Hertfordshire. So they pretty much fell in love during an acquaintance of less than four months of togetherness time. And it wasn't like they were pen pals during the times that they were apart. I read my fair share of historical romance novels, though, and this really almost seems like the norm for the time period. Lord and Ladies would meet at the various balls and soirees and marry in the same season. Could you imagine meeting someone and marrying them in such a short time now? It still happens, of course, but how often do those marriages last? Sometimes I wonder if I could fit in if I were suddenly transported back to those days. Of course, I hate dresses, so that would make me stand out, but just imagine trying to fit in without people figuring out that you don't belong.
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Challenge #2 · 06-14-17 11:21pm
by Christianna

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Princess Megan Rose GOT Fox.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3099525