(333)
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Contest · #896794
Enter your story of 300 words or less.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jun 23, 2017 at 11:08pm
Discovery
by Snarky
*Dollar* 50 GPs were sent to Arakun the Twisted Raccoon with this post.
         Tyler had been exploring the cave for hours when he saw the shafts of light slanting golden across his path as if to bar passage. “I didn’t know there were openings here,” he thought. “Are they new, or am I lost?”
         He looked around. The cavern looked the same as many others he’d scrambled through, or maybe not. “Exploring a cave is sometimes like a bunch of funhouse mirrors at once,” he reflected. “Same and different.”
         Tyler pulled out his map. “I was at the Ice Falls last, and I turned left, not right.” So many times he’d explored this cave, yet when he altered his usual route from the Ice Falls, he got lost. Or had he discovered a new passage? Then he’d achieved the Holy Grail of spelunking.
         That idea made up his mind. He needed to investigate. “A good starting place would be to photograph those openings,” he decided, shooting the wonderful shafts of light from the most magical angle he could find. Then he scrambled up the wall. “A photograph through one of those, a kind of pinhole, camera obscura view onto the outside world, would be great. It’s a completely different way of seeing this area I’ve shot so many times.”
         With no ladder available and not wanting to bother with rope, Tyler decided that he’d get the best results by wedging his feet in the bottom openings and using the top opening for his pinhole. “Awesome! Those hills look enchanting from here.”
         Finally, he’d enough pictures from the wonderful pinhole. Jumping down, he yelled. In the dimness he’d slipped and fallen on a slick, sharp rock. He’d broken his ankle and hit his head. When he woke up, he could hear distant echoes calling his name, no one in sight. “Help, help!” he groaned.

[300 words]
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Discovery · 06-23-17 11:08pm
by Snarky

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Arakun the Twisted Raccoon.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3101321