Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3101517
Rated: ASR · Message Forum · Experience · #1426495
What are you reading?
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jun 25, 2017 at 11:11am
Edited: June 25, 2017 at 11:12am
What I Have Read and What I Am Reading
I think that covered it all pretty well...

What I have recently read.

Tales from the Darkside by Joe Hill and Gabriel Rodriguez

This graphic novel came upon me as a great surprise when at work, and what a marvelous delight it was to read. It really brought me back to the show I grew up loving, while opening room for possible future installments. Hopefully a new show... But who could top the episodes with Carol Kane and Christian Slater in them? It is definitely a fun, inventive, and demented read for any fans of the show and newcomers alike. As a bonus, I learned some things about Joe Hill that I never knew... Like he appeared, as a boy, in one of the films I watched nearly a kazillion times, which ironically inspired Tales from the Darkside... I will give you a hint: Stephen King, George A. Romero, Ted Danson, and the late great Leslie Nielsen were involved. I may have spilled too much and those who cannot guess, well for shame on you...

Westlake Soul by Rio Youers

What an incredible find this one was... It came to me when I was discarding books at the library, and it hasn't been checked out in the past eight years. Something about the cover pulled me in and I was instantly glued from beginning to end. It is a drama, with some dark and horror elements, about a surfer who got in an accident that put him in a vegetative state. (No spoilers here because it is basically covered in the first three pages). He takes a metaphysical as well as philosophical journey about mortality and why we are where we are.There are a couple of outside problems he has to resolve. The story contains telepathy and also an awesome dog with whom Wakeland communicates... with his mind... Sadly, for Westlake, although he is completely aware of his surroundings, his friends and family feel like he will forever be unaware of what is going on, and give up hope. If that isn't bad enough, Death in the form of his arch-nemesis muse cleverly name Dr. Quietus is on the hunt for Westlakes... soul.... I will say it is a gripping story because towards the end, the inevitable grows as a stronger possibility, and as much as I didn't want what was going to happen... well may or may not happen... I sped through the pages to the fulfilling conclusion... Ever come across an amazing book nobody has ever heard of that just baffled you? Well, Wakeland Soul is one of them for me. Very deep story, with amazing grace and craft.

I have read a slew of other books lately, but those two really did it for me as ones to truly recommend.

What I am reading now.

Slade House by David Mitchell

I have always wanted to read Slade House... Luckily it fell upon as a read for my book club... The book came to me as a great mystery... I mean the summary is not at all revealing outside of Slade House is a residence where a handful of people are brought to a la Clue... I read some reviews where the word "horror" crops up... Apparently it jumps between years, and begins when one of the characters is just a boy... Honestly, I am only 25 pages in... So I cannot truly estimate what to expect. It's not a long story, being 220 some odd pages in length... It has this peeling of the onion effect, so I will probably be glued on the prospect of finding out what type of book this is... On the positive, I love shows and books like this, where it requests my undivided attention and teasingly provides me with morsels. I hope to end this seeing what all the fuss of David Mitchell is all about.
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
What I Have Read and What I Am Reading · 06-25-17 11:11am
by Dalimer Corwyn

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, § Forsaken §.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3101517