*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3133655
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #1474311
2023 Sign-ups are CLOSED. A month-long novel-planning challenge with prizes galore.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Sep 22, 2017 at 3:08pm
Re: Some great Writing Advice
I love this. It emphasizes the shades of grey in the writing "rules" (which should really be called "guidelines") we've always been fed. There are exceptions to every rule. Everything in moderation. *insert your favorite cliche here*

Because cliches can serve a purpose, too. *Wink*

About #9. I think the point of the "blank page is the enemy" rule is to prompt you to just write something. I have found that when I just accept that my words will be crap and start writing them, they start to flow out of me. By the second or third paragraph, they're not crap anymore (IMHO.) Then in the edit stage, I just delete the first three paragraphs. What I'm saying is that I like the "blank page is the enemy" rule and disagree that we shouldn't enforce it. Where the article sees submission (when you "give your power away to some inanimate object"), I see a viable scapegoat (the blank page is to blame!!!) And since I believe that it's very important to establish blame, I choose to enforce this rule to the fullest extent of literary law.

By the same token, I'm guessing I might have the same objection to #1 (when it's published "next week," whenever that is.) I do think you need to just start writing at some point. I'm interested to see what the author's argument against that is.

Otherwise, I agreed with everything. I especially love #7. I'm guilty of subjecting myself to guilt trips for failing to write daily, yet I seem to do fine when I finally get around to doing it.

Cheers,
Michelle
MESSAGE THREAD
Some great Writing Advice · 09-21-17 7:47pm
by MontyB
Re: Some great Writing Advice · 09-22-17 10:00am
by Anders J. Miller
*Star* Re: Some great Writing Advice · 09-22-17 3:08pm
by BrandiwynšŸŽ¶
Re: Re: Some great Writing Advice · 09-22-17 6:33pm
by MontyB
Re: Re: Re: Some great Writing Advice · 09-25-17 1:58pm
by Storm Machine

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, BrandiwynšŸŽ¶.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3133655