*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3145233
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(683)
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing.Com · #100931
A message forum for general discussion. Please come and chat with others!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Nov 22, 2017 at 6:37am
Re: Self Publishing
by Zen
If you head to youtube and look up people like Jenna Moreci and Kim Chance, you'll find what some do to build up a following before publishing. Kim chance currently has 12k subscribers and has gone the traditional publishing route. Jenna Moreci has 107k followers and has gone for self-publishing.

Both these ladies have attempted to build a following prior to book release to give their books the best chance possible, and you'll note they have opted for the same tactic - talk about writing, storycraft and their journey toward getting that first book published.

Unlike me, both of them are smart, good looking and comfortable in front of a camera. They also know what they are talking about.

If you decide to trad-pub or self-pub, you'll need to promote your work, and invariably that means promoting yourself. Using social media is a smart way to do this, but you really need to know what you are talking about.

Remember, if a self-published book is to succeed, it must be of high enough quality that it could have been published the traditional way. That means story craft, language and grammar have to get over the high bar. My grammar was excellent at school, but I've found that the literary standard is much higher than that needed to write documents in the office.

You need the usual three things - a great story, great writing and to tell that story exceedingly well. Then you need to promote yourself and your novel, and you shouldn't wait until after it is released. If you can get a following like Jenna Moreci (over 100k), then think how many sales that will translate to when your book is released - and that's just in the first month. After that, additional promotion and (hopefully) word-of-mouth will get you more sales.

I've decided to go the tradional route because I figured that if I have to hit that standard anyway, then I might a well get the kudos of being 'recognised' for it. However you decide, always aim high, look (and read) like a professional, and the best of luck to you!
MESSAGE THREAD
Self Publishing · 11-21-17 7:33am
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Self Publishing · 11-21-17 10:37am
by KenF
Re: Self Publishing · 11-21-17 3:56pm
by Past Member 'northernwrites'
*Star* Re: Self Publishing · 11-22-17 6:37am
by Zen

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Writing.Com Support.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3145233