Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Contest · #896794
Enter your story of 300 words or less.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Nov 23, 2017 at 10:21pm
Edited: November 23, 2017 at 10:22pm
Ghost Sighting
by Snarky
*Dollar* 50 GPs were sent to Arakun the Twisted Raccoon with this post.
         Beatrice looked around. As far as she could see trees reared out of the marshy lowlands, like, she thought, columns in a temple to wilderness.
         She turned to the left, to inspect a pond she knew. In the water stood a tricolor heron haloed in a shaft of sunlight. The bird was watching the water intently. Suddenly he darted his head and pulled up something silvery.
         I hope watching a heron fish so soon in my trip is a good not bad sign, Beatrice thought as she snapped pictures. Sometimes when I see something good early on I seem to use my luck up, and other times the sightings keep on coming.
         Moving on, she spotted bear and bobcat tracks on the other side of the bushes, but no animals in the vicinity. If I want to see them, I’ll have to follow the tracks, Beatrice determined to herself. I know this area well.
         Beatrice hadn’t followed the bobcat tracks very far when she heard knocking. Rap, rap. It was from the left. A woodpecker, she thought, but I can’t tell what type. These tracks head somewhat that direction, so maybe I can cut to the left and hope I can get closer to both the woodpecker and the bobcat.
         Sure enough, the knocking became closer, but the bird was a good distance away, for she could see no sign while she still heard the knocking. It must be a big woodpecker, for me to hear from so far.
         Then a flash of movement caught her eye. A massive woodpecker with a red-crested head was beating against a tree. Beatrice’s jaws dropped. Here’s a bird so fantastically rare it’s feared extinct, and she had a camera. But already he was spreading its wings to fly away. She raised her lens.

[300 words]

Something for a wildlife watcher to be thankful for.
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Ghost Sighting · 11-23-17 10:21pm
by Snarky

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Arakun the Twisted Raccoon.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3145365