(333)
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Contest · #896794
Enter your story of 300 words or less.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jan 15, 2018 at 8:28am
1/15/18 Sister 298
by A Non-Existent User
*Dollar* 100 GPs were sent to Arakun the Twisted Raccoon with this post.
“I found the key!” Sally came running into the room.

“Hush! Mom and Dad will hear.” Daniel placed his hand over her mouth to quiet her.

Sally pushed his hand away and whispered, “They’re outside. I have to see what’s behind the door. Please! You’re my brother. You have to help. I can’t reach. Here, take it.”

Daniel took the key. Sally lead him by hand down the hall. What treasure was so valuable? He shared Sally’s curiosity, if not her determination. The distorted reflection in the brass deadbolt showed Sally’s anticipating smile. He turned the key.

Light crept into the room around the edges of the drawn shade. The dim light shone through the dust and glinted off the eyes of stuffed animals; teddy bears, unicorns, ponies, dolls. Stars and rainbows decorated the walls and bed. Photographs hung from the edges of the mirror on the vanity.

“Hey, she kind of looks like me. We even have the same braid. Her hair is beautiful,” Sally spoke as she looked closely at one of photographs. “Where is she? Why isn’t she here? Who is she?”

Daniel replied with one word as a vague memory sparked a feeling of shock inside him. He had not known regret before this moment. He could not place the memory. It was blurry. It was not an image. It was a feeling. It felt like hope and warmth and joy; and at the same time it felt like sadness and despair. He reached for Sally’s hand and held tight. He backed away from the mirror and sat at the bed. Sally’s shadowy reflection in the mirror drew tears from Daniel’s eyes. Her hand grew cold and she faded away. The room grew dark as more tears blurred his vision. He sat alone.

“Sister.”
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
1/15/18 Sister 298 · 01-15-18 8:28am
by A Non-Existent User

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Arakun the Twisted Raccoon.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3155695