*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3168462
Rated: E · Message Forum · Contest · #2144029
Come yarn me a tale about a flawed character!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Mar 2, 2018 at 2:47am
Edited: March 2, 2018 at 2:52am
BRIEF REVIEWS AND WINNERS ANNOUNCED!
bobturn I grinned to find my name in your story, Maylesha The Dragon Queen. I loved the idea of a shape-shifting dragon species and you showed the story well. I especially liked the descriptive sentences. You have a wonderful way of describing actions. For example, "There was a strangeness to her eyes. The stars themselves sparkled and gleamed in a pool of reflected heavenly splendor but no word trespassed upon her fair lips." As Anne of Green Gables would say, "Such a thrill it gave me!"

Arsuit As a mother, I feel for that mama dragon that had her baby kidnapped in Dragon Breath. My heart melted when her would-be killer became her ally and I laughed out loud when he burst from the dragon's mouth and went after the kidnappers with his potion and barrel of wine. I loved the imagery of these lines, "...I stomped my boot in the snow, sending my sword flying into the air. The metal of the blade reflected the sunset, covering the area in an aura of orange light." Almost felt as if I was standing there, sword in hand!

dragonwoman You had me laughing, at the beginning of Bryan the Brave. The conversations between Bryon's parents and the vets, wizards, and witches was priceless. I especially liked how indignant Drachma became when it was insinuated that her cave wasn't clean enough! I could just see Bryan as a Dragon Scout, rubbing two sticks together to make a spark! Again, you had me giggling at 4G's fame for flatulence. Bryan teaches a great lesson on how to overcome a medical malady AND be a hero without letting his heroism go to his head.

GeminiGem of House Lannister There's something about reading the word "Laird" that makes my tongue happy. I just want to keep saying that one word, over and over again. *Laugh* I got a good giggle out of Dr. Henderson's stethoscope being "decommissioned" in your story, Where There's Smoke There's Fire. I was riveted by the story line, eager to find out if Hillary would be able to cure Sammy. I loved the relationship girl and dragon had and how everyone was willing to make a big change by moving, just for Sammy. There's nothing like sacrificial love!

Paul I always love a good laugh and the beginning of your story, The Dragon Aspyasia had me giggling from the get-go. I loved how Stanley wanted the ducats but not the king's daughter because he'd seen her. Great job showing how the asthma affected Aspyasia's speech. I almost felt like if I drew in a deep breath it would help the dragon breathe better. This was a great tail tale of friendship. I was hoping, towards the end, that Stanley would inherit some magical quality that would allow him to live forever and yet, it was fitting that his son would carry on the friendship.

Ruth Draves Whiff the Dragon put a smile on my face and kept it there throughout the whole story. I lost count of how many times I startled the family, laughing. I loved the names Sir Gadaboute and Sir Flauntsalot. And being a book-lover myself, I could see how hoarding a library of books would be a greater treasure than gold and jewels! Great twist ending. I didn't expect the fair lady to be friends with Whiff. My only suggestion would be to call the dragon a, "bookwyrm" instead of "bookworm".

After reading and thinking and arguing with myself, I was finally able to come to a conclusion.
All MARVELOUS stories but these three take the prize(s):

*TrophyG* First Place: Ruth Draves

*TrophyS* Second Place: Arsuit

*Trophyb* Third Place: GeminiGem of House Lannister

Prizes have been sent!
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
BRIEF REVIEWS AND WINNERS ANNOUNCED! · 03-02-18 2:47am
by Genipher
Re: BRIEF REVIEWS AND WINNERS ANNOUNCED! · 03-03-18 10:48pm
by Ruth Draves

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Genipher.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3168462