*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3207423
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(683)
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing.Com · #100931
A message forum for general discussion. Please come and chat with others!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Aug 29, 2018 at 6:25am
Re: Hi, I need help to build a world for a sci-fi novel
by Zen
First off, you state that the story takes place "after the fall of the president". Since there is a clear line of succession for the President, I can only think you mean not the person but the office. Either way, you should have a clear idea of what caused this, whether that be a deterioration in the powers of the President or not.

There seems to still be a federal government (hence the FBI are still active).
When a gang loses a turf war, they have to move away for a year. That sounds rather odd and very artificial. When gangs lose a turf war, there are usually only three results:
1. There is a stalemate where the old status quo reigns, nobody has gained or lost significant land
2. The losing side cedes some land and is weakened
3. The losing side loses everything. The gang either flees, is absorbed into other gangs (perhaps the winning gang) or is destroyed.

To have them 'go away for a year' would suggest there is some kind of rule system in place, and there are people who enforce it. Remember, everything must have a place in your world, and must make sense within it.

As for your other questions, drop me an email and I'd be happy to help. What I will do is encourage you to consider different aspects of your world. Everything that exists has a cause, and everything that exists has an effect. You'll probably find this creates interesting things in your world that you hadn't thought of.

What I won't do is build your world for you. It's your world. You could start by reading my article on world-building "World Building
MESSAGE THREAD
Hi, I need help to build a world for a sci-fi novel · 08-28-18 8:19am
by Allyann
*Star* Re: Hi, I need help to build a world for a sci-fi novel · 08-29-18 6:25am
by Zen
Re: Re: Hi, I need help to build a world for a sci-fi novel · 08-29-18 8:58am
by KenF

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Writing.Com Support.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3207423