*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3213784
Rated: E · Message Forum · How-To/Advice · #2164831
A forum where I ask questions to strengthen your story, fix plot holes, and much more!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Sep 15, 2018 at 2:57pm
Re: Re: Well, this is an interesting forum!
by Emily
*Dollar* 5,000 GPs were sent to TINMAN 4000 with this post.
Thanks for those questions, TINMAN 4000 ! I can tell already that this is going to be so helpful for fleshing out my story and giving it more clarity!

What are the origins of the plague?
This is really important, isn't it? And yet, I haven't given it much thought. I imagine it would have something to do with overpopulation and pollution and the rapid spread of air-borne disease that wipes out vast cities in an extremely short period of time. This would result in the need for walls and isolation, which causes cities to be completely self-contained and expand vertically rather than outward into the perceived danger of the wastes (the dead zones between cities).

Why does Jonathan and his wife choose to be preserved?
In the beginning, I played with the idea of them wanting to be preserved because of some financial benefit. Either, they were paid to do it, or their lives in 2018 were so poor, that they had nothing to lose in doing it. Right now, I'm liking the idea that they were paid to be preserved because that adds to the sinister plans of ALTO. ALTO had been planning this for a long time, and perhaps ... OH! Perhaps! ALTO caused the plague in the first place in order to necessitate their business model of selling memories of Returners. Their goal is to instill fear in the populous and monopolize the business of "experience" so that the only way people can acquire experiences/memories of the outside world is to go through ALTO.

What do people do with the memories and how does ALTO get them?
Once the memories are taken, they are given to whoever paid for them, resulting in the original holder of the memory completely without that memory (perhaps left with a void or knowledge of something missing), and the memory is complete for the person who received it. They can talk about their "trip to Egypt" in full detail because they were there in the memory, even though their body did not have that experience. The reason people purchase memories from Returners specifically is because those people carry with them all their memories of the world before the Plague, which makes them valuable. ALTO acquires the memories from unwitting Returners. Perhaps the motivation again is money. Perhaps they are promised something in return, but the memory of that promise is removed as well so they are completely scammed out of their memories.

What is the state of the government after all this time? or is ALTO a black-market operation?
ALTO is not black-market. Rather, I think they are funded by the government, if they aren't completely run by the government itself. I imagine the whole economy is driven by this corporation, whether people know it or not. This is one aspect I'll have to think more on. I do know they have to be mega powerful, but in a behind-the-scenes kind of way.

What is keeping Jonathan going?
His need to find his wife, though I think I'm going to give him a secondary motivation as well to deepen his character. The current idea is that finding his wife is the initial driver of the story, but then through his search, he comes to uncover the nefarious actions of the ALTO Corporation and their memory stealing operation. As his hopes of finding his wife dwindle because he seems to be getting no closer to her, his focus shifts to protecting other "Returners" like himself from having their old lives stolen by ALTO. In the end, Jon is able to prove that the fears people have of the wastes between cities being contaminated by the plague are unfounded. This means that the residents of the city will be able to freely roam the world again and make their own memories, thus toppling any power held by ALTO. The conclusion of the story will be people rebuilding the land between cities (re-establishing the wilderness) and Jon finally finding Val (though I'm not completely clear on how this will happen just yet). She'll be older than him (I'm imagining he is 25 and she'll be 65 by the time they meet again), but this won't matter and they'll live happily together outside of the city.

Thank you so much for those questions! This has really helped me understand my world better and inspired me to write more!

Thank you!
-Emily

Emily Signature

BOOK
A Piece Of My Heart  (18+)
A blog to house my musings, curiosities, and fascinations.
#2166092 by Emily
MESSAGE THREAD
Well, this is an interesting forum! · 09-13-18 8:29am
by Emily
Re: Well, this is an interesting forum! · 09-15-18 2:12pm
by TINMAN 4000
*Star* Re: Re: Well, this is an interesting forum! · 09-15-18 2:57pm
by Emily
Re: Re: Re: Well, this is an interesting forum! · 09-15-18 8:47pm
by TINMAN 4000
Re: Re: Re: Re: Well, this is an interesting forum! · 09-15-18 9:44pm
by Emily
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Well, this is an interesting forum! · 09-16-18 11:25am
by TINMAN 4000

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, TINMAN 4000.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3213784