*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3215030
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(683)
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing.Com · #100931
A message forum for general discussion. Please come and chat with others!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Sep 20, 2018 at 10:46pm
Edited: September 20, 2018 at 10:50pm
Historical Fiction guy here
Hi everyone. I have always been a bit of a very casual writer. Mostly I scribble things down and then after a few days throw it away. Not because I don't like what I write but because I get bored with the style or genre. I am a sci-fi fan so I've always assumed I need to write sci-fi. I grew up in the early 90s with Star Trek TNG and DS9 and reading fan novels. I realize now that I love reading sci-fi because of the wonderment and the fantasy and it is a thrill to me to read about things that do not or probably could not exist.
I was laying in a hotel room the other night thinking about how badly I want to write something when it hit me like a truck. I can't write sci-fi because it would ruin the genre for me. Sci-fi is my mistress. Nothing more. Then I thought about how much I love history. I thought about some of my favorite books (besides sci-fi) such as Where the Red Fern Grows and Old Yeller and White Fang and many more. I also love researching and learning about history. The first books I ever bought with my own money were civil war novels by Jeff Shaara.
I live in NE Pennsylvania and there is a deep coal mining history here. I've always been fascinated with local Native American tribes and felt that is something I would like to research also. There are a few writings about something that happened where I live a long time ago called The Wyoming Massacre. Also a young girl named Frances Slocum was captured by Native Americans and raised as their own. Or I have always wanted to look into a legend about Queen Esther’s Bloody Rock. There is so much history where I live that I can draw inspiration from. I still want to develop my own characters and plot and all so I think historical fiction is for me. It still needs to be very accurate but I can create. I don't want to write non-fiction. That wouldn't be fun for me.
Anyhow I am rambling. I was excited about this revelation and wanted to share. Finding something to spark my interest has been torture for me and when I thought about researching for a historical type fiction it just clicked. How could I have been so stupid for so long. I look forward to researching and learning and sharing.
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Historical Fiction guy here · 09-20-18 10:46pm
by NatMat283
Re: Historical Fiction guy here · 09-21-18 8:43am
by Angus
Re: Re: Historical Fiction guy here · 09-21-18 7:34pm
by Zen
Re: Historical Fiction guy here · 09-26-18 7:24pm
by AskMyName
Re: Re: Historical Fiction guy here · 10-03-18 2:24am
by NatMat283
Re: Historical Fiction guy here · 10-31-18 3:16pm
by Talking Insecurity
Re: Historical Fiction guy here · 11-01-18 10:48am
by Past Member 'glynisj'
Re: Historical Fiction guy here · 01-19-19 2:56pm
by NatMat283

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Writing.Com Support.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3215030