*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3228779
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(683)
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing.Com · #100931
A message forum for general discussion. Please come and chat with others!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Nov 9, 2018 at 7:22pm
Re: Reviewing Parameters
Why bother?

You mistake honesty for cruelty. It's a common problem here, but since I take my writing seriously and that of others on this site, I strive to never mistake one for the other.

I've been told my reviews can be harsh. I acknowledge as much in the introduction to my review forum. It's been suggested that I should avoid crushing the frail petals of someone's creative impulses underneath the jackboots of objective analysis, but I have to ask, why else would I be here, in a community of writers rather than holing up in a dark room in front of a screen? There are friends, lovers, scout masters and mothers to be concerned with emotions, if that's your priority. It's called Writing.com, not feel_good.com. I'm concerned with the writing, and if someone is off track, pretending otherwise is the real act of cruelty. Ignoring them altogether to avoid being honest is simply self-indulgent.

I make it a point to only write a review when it's specifically requested. In fact, I go out of my way to scare off any prospective customers who might only want their viewpoint to be validated and fed back to them. After that, if they still want to know what I think, shucks: I feel obligated to tell them.

Here's the thing that no one mentions about reviewing: it's the opposite of free advice, or empty kudos. A review requires one to get down in the mud with the writer, to participate in the same process, to examine themselves as well as the writing and to be honest about themselves, what they know, what they don't know and the struggle to learn. A good review teaches the reviewer as well as the writer, and it is that willingness to speak from ones own struggles with the craft that will offer something useful to others.

Use for signatures
MESSAGE THREAD
Reviewing Parameters · 10-26-18 9:39pm
by s
Re: Reviewing Parameters · 10-27-18 11:44am
by KenF
Re: Reviewing Parameters · 10-27-18 11:56am
by Amyaurora
Re: Reviewing Parameters · 10-27-18 11:59am
by Amyaurora
*Star* Re: Reviewing Parameters · 11-09-18 7:22pm
by edgework
Re: Re: Reviewing Parameters · 11-10-18 1:46am
by Zen
Re: Re: Reviewing Parameters · 11-10-18 10:19am
by Veritas

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Writing.Com Support.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3228779