Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Contest · #896794
Enter your story of 300 words or less.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Nov 11, 2018 at 11:02pm
Edited: November 11, 2018 at 11:03pm
Patient, the Spider
by Snarky
*Dollar* 50 GPs were sent to Arakun the Twisted Raccoon with this post.
         Lydia rested in the center of her web, awaiting her next meal. Sure enough, a large green bottle fly was buzzing tantalizing close.
         “He’s interested in the corpse that man who broke my web put down there,” Lydia thought. “If only a fly came here, when he’s finished!”
         More and more flies landed on the carcass, which now seemed alive again with insects feeding and laying eggs. “Oh, how I wish one would visit. I want to drink him up, after I worked so hard repairing my web! But he can enjoy his last meal now.”
         Some flies began dispersing. A big one drifted lazily her way. But he curved away from her, splashing directly into someone else’s web in another tree. Almost choking with envy, Lydia watched the insect struggle. Dan, a different spider species, approached. She salivated as Dan bit and wrapped up the fly.
         More flies heading her way distracted Lydia from her grudge. “Yes, come, come!” she thought. Closer, closer… a big one plopped right into her web. She rushed over, before the flailing fly broke free.
         Hurriedly Lydia bit the fly, injecting it with venom. Next she shrouded it in silk. But now another fly plopped into her web, and she bit and wrapped this one up too. Finally, waiting for her victims to die, she felt elation. After much labor, she’d caught two large flies. Lydia couldn’t remember when she last felt so lucky.
         Then Lydia heard human voices. In horror she watched men and dogs approach her web and prey. “Here it is,” someone called, “under these trees with the big spider-webs!”
         “It seems the spiders have been busy with our evidence!” laughed the human.
         Lydia did not listen. She was too busy eating, before the clumsy humans could destroy her hard work.

[300 words]
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Patient, the Spider · 11-11-18 11:02pm
by Snarky

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Arakun the Twisted Raccoon.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3229209