*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3246140
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Message Forum · Other · #2016379
Discuss all things relating to writing and genre.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Feb 1, 2019 at 4:52am
Re: Any good examples of great character driven sci-fi no...
by Zen
I was going to suggest The Martian (book, not movie), because the world pretty much takes a back seat, on the whole only providing the base-line Watney never wants to achieve. However, Watney doesn't develop much.

You could try Three Body Problem, by Cixin Liu. I'm not sure the main POV character evolves, but certainly the other main character does (it's hard to say whether she's an antagonist or not, although she is for much of the story. TBP is like that). It's also one of the most beautiful stories I've ever read, not to mention astonishing, and the ending will blow your mind.

You could also try Gateway by Frederik Pohl. This is a classic, and when you read it you'll realise why. Definitely character driven and definitely about character evolution. The simplicity of the plot makes it all the more beguiling, and allows the reader to concentrate on the various characters and the precarious predicament they've put themselves in. It's a work of genius.
MESSAGE THREAD
Any good examples of great character driven sci-fi novels? · 01-25-19 10:53am
by JulianBenabides
Re: Any good examples of great character driven sci-fi no... · 01-30-19 2:27am
by Tobber
*Star* Re: Any good examples of great character driven sci-fi no... · 02-01-19 4:52am
by Zen
Re: Re: Any good examples of great character driven sci-f... · 02-04-19 2:51pm
by Tobber
Re: Re: Re: Any good examples of great character driven s... · 02-05-19 3:00am
by Zen

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, David the Dark one!.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3246140