*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3247506
Rated: E · Message Forum · Fantasy · #2016377
Chat with fellow members and catch up on all the FSFS News!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Feb 5, 2019 at 1:18pm
Edited: February 5, 2019 at 1:19pm
Re: Need a Sci-fi break?
by Past Member 'bobturn'
Science fiction has been around long enough for H.G. Well's fans to see his 'First Men In The Moon' turn into astronauts planting flags there. My favorite of his is The Time Machine  . Edgar Rice Burroughs 'Martian Series' have robotic travelers from earth exploring the dried up waterways of the red planet. Another good read is his {x-link:https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/551}The Land That Time Forgot{/x-link.

It may be easy for younger readers to get so engrossed in current mainstream authors and neglect giving attention to why Robert A. Heinlein and others were called masters of the art. If you haven't read his 'Citizen of the Galaxy'   you are missing something special. It is still sold under copyright but is readily available with a Google Shopping Search.

The genre has widened its interests as science has matured and entered new realms. Prompts for recent SciFi and Fantasy contests on the WdC explore nanobots like in my own contest entry "Invalid Item and quantum mechanics as well as the more traditional theme of space travel. Entering the contests is a great way to do a little research and let your imagination fly where it may for you and others to enjoy the results of where it lands.

For real explorers, there are hidden gems such as the short stories of my favorite SciFi author, Henry Kutner. The name is rarely mentioned these days but not without a chuckle after reading items like his The Ego Machine  . He influenced many writers of his time but none could match his talent for combining a wild sense of mischief and humor with time-honored themes of robots and such. With the increasing tensions between Russia, North Korea, China, and the United States his short story 'The Cold War' bears reading for a unique lively take on the subject that will surprise you. It is my all time favorite of all of Science Fiction written by anyone. I couldn't find it in a free version online but again, a Google search on the title will reveal a low-cost anthology with the masterpiece within its pages.

So. Next time you are feeling especially 'spacey' or in need of a little time traveling for yourself, try taking the time to enjoy visiting the past. Why should time travel only be for the likes of H.G. Wells? Comments and questions are welcome.
MESSAGE THREAD
Need a Sci-fi break? · 02-01-19 11:51pm
by Past Member 'bobturn'
*Star* Re: Need a Sci-fi break? · 02-05-19 1:18pm
by Past Member 'bobturn'
Re: Re: Need a Sci-fi break? · 02-06-19 7:52pm
by Past Member 'bobturn'

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, David the Dark one!.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3247506