*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3256310
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Message Forum · Other · #2016379
Discuss all things relating to writing and genre.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Mar 14, 2019 at 7:49am
Re: Question about character creation in a fantasy setting
by Zen
Your program idea is a good one. It works for you because you understand it. Does it allow you to create a specific character though, or does it require some randomness?

I sometimes begin by asking myself what sort of character do I feel is necessary for the role. I draw up a quick and dirty character sketch without too much detail, then I ask myself what the least appropriate character would be for the role. That results in another Q+D sketch.

At this point, I sometimes look at both of these characters and then ask myself what would someone completely different to them (in all respects) would be like, and you guessed it, a Q+D sketch of them too.

So, now I have two or three characters, of which I know very little. They now have to audition for the part. I write a couple of scenes (for each of them) - same scenes, so they get an even shot at the role - and see which one is the most interesting. Sometimes the choice can be very definitely not the obvious one.

Having chosen a character, it's time to find out who they are, so I write some more scenes (none particularly relevant to the story), getting a handle on them. Once I know who they are, it's time to dive into backstory, to find out how they got to be that person.

Then there's the other method, which I have to admit is much more streamlined and appealing. The one when I just 'know' the character I need for a role. To make that person 3D, I simply give them siblings and nieces/nephews and old friends. If they're a major character, some backstory helps. If they're the MC, lots of backstory.
MESSAGE THREAD
Question about character creation in a fantasy setting · 03-14-19 6:45am
by NeveroddoreveN
*Star* Re: Question about character creation in a fantasy setting · 03-14-19 7:49am
by Zen
Re: Re: Question about character creation in a fantasy se... · 03-14-19 12:51pm
by NeveroddoreveN

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, David the Dark one!.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3256310