*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3267256
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(683)
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing.Com · #100931
A message forum for general discussion. Please come and chat with others!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Apr 28, 2019 at 5:22am
Edited: April 28, 2019 at 5:41am
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Self Published Children's books.
by A Non-Existent User
I didn't mean my response in an offensive context but I am suggesting as a START... to best do so cautiously... Don't get in too deep right away. You might not make ANY money in the beginning at all... the name of the game is to get established and make a little money on the side to keep you going... Only do a fancy publishing unless they give you an advance... agents cost money too and all sorts of other little things... (i have been researching this carefully) Those little things add up... I found hidden fees for many things they don't tell you up front... It surprised the hell out of me how many little things you find... And it was a legitiment publisher.

I say self publishing only on the basis of starting. not to say others could go the other way and succeed... I do want to be a major player, but i am not in it for the quick buck and making money immediately,. It DOES take time to hone a reputation, reliability as an author and your material... Only then you can expand upward and outward to other things. I want to find a nitch and a place to be first. Let people know you exist and expose your material to the public... There is a VERY likely chance you will be noticed by the big boys and they come to you...knowing you are beginning.. and offer you what you want... the big leagues. If you try to take it to them, there is a VERY likely chance they won't acknowledge your hard work, over scrutinize as the newcomer or nobody...

I read in one of Bradbury's writing books (about writing) that it took lots of stories to get him established in the business in mags and so forth before he published Fahrenheit 451 which made him a major player. he was totally not expecting it to be a hit... and came to him suddenly. But they gave more of an opt chance because he had published small before,.

See where i am going with this???

Starting small yields bigger things later. ---

I am not trying to detour ANYONE from taking a shot... everyone wants a fair shake and in this business i have learned even in the magazine world it doesn't work that way. Writing is as bad as programming in Inf Tech... it is cutthroat... kill or be killed. I learned that almost immediately when i tried to do the quick route... one of the pro authors told me to start slow and small, i was taking it too gung ho... LOL (sounds like GI-JOE action movie thing...) so I did and i got better results. Didn't make much in money... 100 dollars here and there, but that adds up to and keeps ya going.

I was young and foolish when i started, over eager... but now i am chill'n and take things as they come... i have been out a couple of years... writing and looking to get back in the game... I am motivated to want to succeed.

Ka'Plagh! (klingon for success) -- Yes my geek is showing LOL *Bigsmile* *Bigsmile*

And YES you still have to be on your 'A' Game here...

Respectfully,

FA/MM N.A Miller, USN Ret.
(Protected Veteran/Writer)

(Sorry edited for the damn typos... i hate Typos!!!!) GRRRRRR!!!!
MESSAGE THREAD
Self Published Children's books. · 03-24-19 10:48am
by Mic42
Re: Self Published Children's books. · 03-27-19 3:45am
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Self Published Children's books. · 03-30-19 3:02pm
by Mic42
Re: Re: Re: Self Published Children's books. · 04-02-19 3:36pm
by KenF
Re: Re: Re: Re: Self Published Children's books. · 04-27-19 7:59pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Self Published Children's books. · 04-28-19 4:31am
by Zen
*Star* Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Self Published Children's books. · 04-28-19 5:22am
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Self Published Children's books. · 05-13-19 12:20pm
by PastorJuan

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Writing.Com Support.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3267256